Author: Julie Kagawa
Pages: 363
Genre: Fantasy
Audience: Young Adult
Rating: Two Stars: I'd dodge this book's awkward hug
Adapted Goodreads Summary:
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She never quite fit in at school or at home. A dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her. Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change, but she could never have guessed the truth. She is the daughter of a "mythical" faery king, and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about and stop an evil faery creature.
My Thoughts
What do you get when you mix a modern day girl with Shakespearean faries and computer viruses? This novel. I imagine the plot outline to look a bit like this.
+

Need I say more? This book had a potentially interesting concept until about 200 pages in. After that the plot structure was predictable and became an awkward blend of ideas. The insta love/love triangle was detestable, and the writing badly done. I did not like Meghan at all because she was extremely shallow and vapid. The Prince's personality was limited to being a cardboard cut out of the attractive, tragic, mysterious boy we see over and over in YA lit, with no further depth unless you count a touch of homicidal tendencies. Puck had some potential, but his depth came from Shakespeare, not Kagawa. I used my speed read skills on the last 100 pages because I knew EXACTLY how it would end. You will too.


Oh no! Bummer you didn't like this one! This is one of my all-time favorite series, which is saying a lot for me because it is so new. I loved the Nevernever, which was the initial draw for me, I think.
ReplyDeleteAnd I LOVE the Labyrinth picture up there. Goblin King forever. :)