Sunday, September 30, 2012

Review (Becky): The Looking Glass Wars




Adapted Goodreads Summary
Alyss Heart, heir to the Wonderland throne, was forced to flee through the Pool of Tears after a bloody palace coup staged by the murderous Redd. Lost and alone in Victorian London, Alyss is befriended by an aspiring author to whom she tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Alyss had trusted Lewis Carroll to tell the truth so that someone, somewhere would find her and bring her home. But Carroll had gotten it all wrong. He even misspelled her name! If not for royal bodyguard Hatter Madigan's nonstop search to locate the lost princess, Alyss may have become just another society woman sipping tea in a too-tight corset instead of returning to Wonderland to fight Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.


Author: Frank Beddor
Pages: 384
Genre: Fantasy (adapted classic)
Audience: YA
Rating: 3 stars-  I'd friend this book on Facebook, mostly because I liked looking at it

My Thoughts:


This began as a richly re-imagined adaptation of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I liked the grittiness of the "real" Wonderland, and the idea that Alice was originally from there. I had high hopes for the high-spirited Alysse, but once she left wonderland the characters all flattened into the deck of cards that they were. Most of them coasted on the personalities granted to them by the original story or simply didn't have personalities at all. I also got a little bored of the "good" vs "bad", white imagination vs black imagination theme. It became very star warsy and it's hard to care much about a character who is pure good and effortlessly wise.

Throughout the story I did empathize with Alice for the most part, and I was alway impatient to get back to her when the focus shifted onto one of the secondary characters. I also loved the mesh of real life events from the girl who inspired the original story with the "real" wonderland. This is worth a read, but it didn't quite veer far enough from the original or go deep enough into character for my tastes. The plot became flat and predictable in the last half. I'll probably read the sequel, however.
Becky sig
Becky's Sig

FTC Disclaimer

All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...