Monday, September 17, 2012

Review (Randi): Thirteen Reasons Why I didn't like this book

Author: Jay Asher
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: October 18th, 2007
Page Count: 288
Genre: contemporary realism/issues book (suicide)
Audience: young adult
Source: bought
Rating: 1.5 I would ignore this book's calls, but respond via text
Goodreads Summary: 
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.
Becky reviewed Thirteen Reasons Why back in August, so check out her review here if you missed it. (Our reviews are very different!)

My thoughts: As a play on this book's title (and the fact that I didn't love it, I thought I'd do a little something different with this review. So here are my thirteen reasons why I didn't much like this book. (Note: I seem to be in the severe minority of people who didn't like this book, so if it sounds appealing to you, just know that most reviews I've read absolutely rave about it!)


Spoiler tags ahead.


1. I didn't like Hannah. At all. Though she did go through some unpleasant things, I couldn't really empathize with her in the long run.


2. Adding to that first reason, Hannah really ticked me off. She blamed everyone else for her problems, granted some of them definitely are attributable to others, rather than trying to take control of her own life. She did effectively "take control of her life" by taking her own life, but she seemed to me to just want to blame everyone else.


3. Some of the people & events she mentioned in her reasons why she killed herself made me want to slap her! 




4. Also, adding onto #3, hot tub scene anyone? She had total control of that situation...yet she used it as one of her "reasons."

5. The fact that she even included Clay.

6. The tapes...Everyone makes mistakes, yes. People do some crappy things to other people. I'm only 24 though, and I realize I'm not anywhere close to the same person I was in high school. I like to think I'm a better person. So how can you saddle thirteen people with guilt over your own suicide for the rest of their lives? So vindictive.

7. This is going to sound incredibly callous, but...I didn't feel sorry for Hannah. We've all been through screwed up situations in our lives (especially during those high school years), and many have been through much much worse than Hannah. But she killed herself anyway.

8. Adding on to #7, what I admire so much about people who persevere is the fact that they didn't give up. Hannah did, and rather than taking her own life to cease the pain she feels, she needed to get vengeance on all the people she felt had wronged her.

9. As someone who deals with clinical depression, I just can't understand why of all the people in her life who care for her,



10. I really wanted to like this book. And I thought I would. And that itself annoys me as well because of all the hype it's gotten. I try not to read a book solely based on its hype, but I was actually interested in the premise of this one. However, the characterization of Hannah completely let me down. I think this could have been a better story, but it just didn't work for me.

11. Bouncing off of #10, the whole thing felt anti-climactic. After the escalation of the first few tapes and "reasons" (blames), you assume the "reasons" closer to the time of Hannah's suicide would get worse and worse. I didn't see them that way, though. As I mentioned in 3 & 4, I felt like Hannah got to the point where she simply allowed bad things to happen to her (and others, in the case of #3). I'm not trying to blame the victim here, I promise! I just feel like the story arc and the things she had already gone through would have made Hannah a little less naive, make her a little more active in the events occurring around her, but it seems like she's just looking for more reasons to round out her list of 13.

12. I'm annoyed that she chose 13 reasons since 13 is my birthday and lucky number, and reading this book made me really sad that now I think of Hannah when I think of my number.

13. Overall, my dislike of this book comes down to two points: I couldn't connect with Hannah at all, and the plot fell flat for me. Just remember, many people rave about this book, and definitely don't forget to check out Becky's review to such one such opinion! (Link at the beginning of this review.)

Okay, so obviously some of my reasons were stronger than others. But what did you think? I want to know what I missed in this book. 

Randi Review Sig


FTC Disclaimer: All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

8 comments:

  1. This is one of my least favorite reads ever. I only finished it so I could for sure say why I didn't like it. I think it is offensive to anyone who lost someone they love to suicide.

    So don't feel too bad, you aren't the only one who didn't like this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm so glad I'm not alone! I feel like such an outsider when I don't like a book that everyone and their dog just raved about. I thought it could be a really great book to potentially use in my future classroom, but honestly it had no redeeming qualities for me (I still feel bad saying things like that, though!). Thanks, Michelle! :)

      Delete
  2. You know, I know a ton of people really loved this one and I suppose when these issue books come out I can see why they resonate really loudly for young people. HOWEVER - I have read two other reviews by very trusted blogger/reader friends of mine that are similar to yours. They didn't feel connected to Hannah, they felt like she was vindictive towards the people she BLAMED, and she didn't try to seek help.

    Now...I haven't read this book myself so I can't offer any insight or opinion in a fair way. I did buy it at a library sale for $1 (I LOVE the way the inside of the book jacket has a picture on it.) But I just don't think I'm ready to read it yet in an objective way...since I'm fairly newish to contemporaries. (Sidenote: Over the next three weeks, I am focusing on three issues-heavy contemporaries. I'm TRYING.) Eventually I'll get to this one. The mixed reviews make me really want to read it, I just need a little more time to acclimate myself to these contemporaries!!

    I think it is awesome how you structured your review and that you are being honest in a sea of raving reviews. Rock on, Randi!! It's hard sometimes to be one of the ones that didn't *love* a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really went into this book thinking I would definitely connect with Hannah, so I feel like I was even more disappointed because I went in with that expectation. That'll teach me!

      OOOO, can't wait to hear what you think of those contemporaries!!! :) I always feel that way too when a book causes strong reactions both ways. It makes me curious!

      Thanks, Asheley! It was hard to write because I didn't want to come off as callous or harsh, because I really do empathize with people suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts, but it just didn't work for me in this one which made me feel like I totally missed something!

      Delete
  3. It's always interesting to come across someone who didn't love a book you did. This is why I belong to the book blog world. We can share our opinions and our reviews.
    I loved this book mostly for the underlying message behind Hannah's suicide, which to me was that you never know how far an act of kindness or cruelty can go. We never really know what people are going through in their day to day lives and a simple action-good or bad can be the beginning or end for someone.
    This is the message I hope kids get from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading different perspectives on books & how people interpreted things differently. It's part of the wonder of reading, how we all bring our own prior knowledge & experiences to the table when we approach a book, and that's part of what makes me so excited to be an English language arts teacher! :)

      I can definitely see that message in the book, and I think it is a really important one, especially these days when incidences of bullying and bullying leading to suicide are so prevalent in the news and in our culture in general. I know a lot of teens have enjoyed it, but I think I'd probably choose a different book with similar themes if I were going to teach it. I'll probably still recommend it to future students who I think might like it, though. :) Thanks, Tammy!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...