
WARNING: This is NOT a young adult book - it's an ADULT paranormal romance
Author: Gena Showalter
Publisher: HQN
Publication Date: May 3rd, 2008
Page Count: 379
Genre: Paranormal Romance (half-god/half-demon immortals)
Audience: Adult
Source: borrowed from a friend
Rating: 3 I'd friend this book on Facebook...and constantly drool over its photos
Summary from Goodreads: His powers -- Inhuman...
His passion -- Beyond immortal . . .
All her life, Ashlyn Darrow has been tormented by voices from the past. To end the nightmare, she has come to Budapest seeking help from men rumored to have supernatural abilities, not knowing she'll be swept into the arms of Maddox, their most dangerous member -- a man trapp ed in a hell of his own.
Neither can resist the instant hunger than calms their torments . . . and ignites an irresistible passion. But every heated touch and burning kiss will edge them closer to destruction -- and a soul-shattering test of love . . .
Though they carry an eternal curse, the Lords of the Underworld are irresistibly seductive -- and unimaginably powerful . . .
My thoughts: Let me start by saying that this is NOT my typical read. However, it’s one of my bestie’s favorite series (she’s a paranormal romance addict!), so I decided to give it a try. Normally when I go for adult books, I go for urban fantasy; I like more story and less sexy times. I need a strong plot and strong characters. Sexual tension is nice, but if there’s no storyline, I get bored. Anyway, I gave this book three stars because although I didn’t love it, it does set up an intriguing story line for the series. Immortals who are half gods and half demons? Interesting concept. The Darkest Night revolves around Ashlyn (a girl who, wherever she is, can hear all of the conversations that ever took place in that physical location) and Maddox (who is possessed by the demon Violence), and I honestly wasn’t that excited about their story (talk about instalove!), but I find myself wanting to know what happens to the other characters in this book.
We meet a LOT of the immortals in this book (like…over a
dozen?) so I’m anxious to read some of the other stories to get more of the
plotline and also to make sure some of my favorites get their happy-ever-afters
(especially Lucien, Reyes, and Torin). The characters really aren’t that well
developed, unless you count their physical descriptions which are overwhelmingly
abundant, but I’m guessing that’s kind of the point with this type of book..? I
also would have liked more of the setting since, hello, we’re in BUDAPEST. But,
again with the PNR, I’m assuming that’s not a huge feature of this genre.
Someone correct me if my assumptions are wrong!
If you’re a paranormal romance fan, you may like this one! I’m
really not a good judge since I’ve read next to nothing when it comes to this
genre, but my bestie loves it. I’ll eventually pick up a couple more books
since I can borrow them and since the next book features Lucien. Woot! Also, I'm told that this book is one of the least exciting (way to start off a series...).

I love books like these, but I've never read anything by this particular author. However, some of my reading friends GUSH and RAVE over her and this series...
ReplyDeleteI think the bestie said she's reading the most recent in the series (#9) right now. And this was one of her least favorites. I'd say give 'em a whirl! :)
Delete