Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (11): Becky & Randi


Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday was started by Jill at Breaking the Spine for book bloggers to highlight the books we are anxiously awaiting!


Today, Randi is waiting on:

The Sweetest Dark
by Shana Abé
Publication Date: April 2nd, 2013

Summary from Goodreads: “With every fiber of my being, I yearned to be normal. To glide through my days at Iverson without incident. But I’d have to face the fact that my life was about to unfold in a very, very different way than I’d ever envisioned. Normal would become forever out of reach.”

Lora Jones has always known that she’s different. On the outside, she appears to be an ordinary sixteen-year-old girl. Yet Lora’s been keeping a heartful of secrets: She hears songs that no one else can hear, dreams vividly of smoke and flight, and lives with a mysterious voice inside her that insists she’s far more than what she seems.

England, 1915. Raised in an orphanage in a rough corner of London, Lora quickly learns to hide her unique abilities and avoid attention. Then, much to her surprise, she is selected as the new charity student at Iverson, an elite boarding school on England’s southern coast. Iverson’s eerie, gothic castle is like nothing Lora has ever seen. And the two boys she meets there will open her eyes and forever change her destiny.

Jesse is the school’s groundskeeper—a beautiful boy who recognizes Lora for who and what she truly is. Armand is a darkly handsome and arrogant aristocrat who harbors a few closely guarded secrets of his own. Both hold the answers to her past. One is the key to her future. And both will aim to win her heart. As danger descends upon Iverson, Lora must harness the powers she’s only just begun to understand, or else lose everything she dearly loves.

Filled with lush atmosphere, thrilling romance, and ancient magic, The Sweetest Dark brilliantly captures a rich historical era while unfolding an enchanting love story that defies time.

Why I'm waiting anxiously: Yet again, caught by another beautiful cover! Historical setting (in England, no less!), boarding school (in a Gothic castle!), secret powers, what sounds like a love triangle; all things I greatly enjoy in a book (note: I enjoy the tension in well-written love triangles). 


Today, Becky is waiting on:

Pivot Point
by Kasie West
Publication Date: February 12th, 2013

Summary from Goodreads:

Pivot Point is about a girl who has the power to Search alternate futures. When faced with a life changing decision, she lives out six weeks of two different lives (in alternating chapters), both holding the potential for love and loss, and must ultimately choose which path she is willing to live through.


Why I'm waiting anxiously:  I've been meaning to read more time-travel fiction, as per the advice of a good friend.  This gorgeous cover game the jolt I needed to pick one out!

14 comments:

  1. Randi, that cover is gorgeous and I love reading stories where the main character has abilities.

    Becky, I've seen your choice before and I'm really interested. How do you pick which way to go with your life when both choices have pros and cons? Should be interesting.

    Great picks ladies.

    My My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for Pivot Point! I featured it as well awhile ago and it sounds awesome! Sliding Doors is on Netflix and I'm gonna watch it in anticipation lol
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! The sweetest dark has such a pretty cover.

    My WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cover for The Sweetest Dark - it sounds really good too! Thanks for the spotlight on that one.

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pivot Popint is a WoW for me, too. I'm sure this will be awesome! And I dare say I've seen The Sweetest Dark somewhere before, and I can't fathom why I only labeled it a "maybe" read. Any ideas? Coz I don't know. It sounds awesome, so thanks for reminding me of it, Randi.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Pivot Point on my to-read list and I can't wait to read it when it comes out. Great picks! I hope you enjoy it when it comes out.
    Come check out my WOW post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of these are really awesome picks. I am really looking forward to them too.. :)

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever
    http://booksliveforever.com/?p=4411

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two great picks. Both have gorgeous covers and sound like awesome reads. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice cover and pick.

    http://tributebooksreviews.blogspot.com/2012/09/waiting-on-wednesday-owlet-by-emma.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so curious about Pivot Point, too! It reminds me of that movie with Gwyneth Paltrow, Sliding Doors? Great picks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...