Saturday, September 8, 2012

Review (Becky): An Abundance of Katherines

Title: An Abundance of Katherines
Author: John Green
Pages: 227
Genre: Contemporary Realism (romance)
Audience: Young Adults
Rating: four and half stars-  I'd marry this book if I wasn't already married to "Looking for Alaska" and 'Fault in our Stars".

Goodreads Summary:
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He's also a washed-up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and a Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin's on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl. Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin's hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere.

My Thoughts:

If I could only read one author of YA contemporary realism ever again...It would be John Green. He has a very consistent style of writing, character type and even message, yet it never gets boring. Although I was hoping for something more crushingly sad and dramatic, this quirky, lighthearted story was actually a nice surprise. I didn't quite get the math, no shocker there, but it isn't really necessary. At last we have some realistic teen dialogue with the hilarious Hassan. Even Colin ,due to his child prodigy-ness was more believable. I feel really attached to all the characters in this book, which rarely happens, to the point that I would not be surprised if they turned out to be real. I also love that Green's books are boy friendly, although girls could certainly enjoy them too.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome review Becky..would you believe I have never read a John Green book *gasps* I know, I know..i only hear wonderful things about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, no worries there's still time. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't blown away by this book (to my surprise...as I'm a big John Green fan)...so I was curious to read your review. I like that you pointed out the appeal it holds for the male reader (a big selling point with me!) Keep up the great work!! ~Amie Beamer at www.ReadingYA.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is hard to be blown away by this low-key story when you are holding it up to the standard of Looking for Alaska and Fault in Our Stars. If I had read this by another author I think it would have had more impact because I had lower expectations, if that makes sense, but I still loved it. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...