Author: Andrew Fukuda
Pages: 304
Genre: Horror (Vampires)
Audience: Young Adult
Goodreads Summary
Don’t Sweat. Don’t Laugh. Don’t draw attention to yourself. And most of all, whatever you do, do not fall in love with one of them.
Gene is different from everyone else around him. He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood. Gene is a human, and he knows the rules. Keep the truth a secret. It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood.
When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him. He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity?
My Thoughts
This book was so much better than I expected. I just devoured it. If you liked the movie Daybreakers (which I did), then you will probably like this. The story is set in a dystopian/post apocalyptic world in which vampires are the people and humans are rare game called "Hepers". The tone and pace are similar to The Hunger Games, with a lot of tension and mistrust between characters. Then, midway through there is an onslaught of intense, life-threatening action. I think it was the little details of how humans and vampires differed that really made this story pop for me. Most of all I loved the suspense of wondering if the main character would be caught.There were small flaws in some of the logic if you look , but the author tried very hard and this is already a story for which you must suspend some disbelief. Examples...the MC is always eating raw, bloody meat and never fruit, so he'd be incredibly malnourished and probably throwing up. Also, for some reason all the vampires eat dessert. What? All the humans would be dead if this was a real scenario, but I can't bring myself to care about these holes because the story was so compelling.
Hmm...I had no plans for reading this book. But now I'm intrigued that you overlooked flaws in a book. Bahaha. Great review!
ReplyDeleteAgreed, this was a really good book. I totally forgot all about Daybreakers! But yeah, there were little details like those that kind of bothered me, but they were easy to overlook since the overall delivery was so good.
ReplyDelete