Thursday, October 11, 2012

Terror 'Tober: Twice Baked Thursday Review: A Monster Calls

jack-o-lantern

Check out Terror 'Tober Event Page here!

Baked Twice


Author: Patrick Ness
Pages: 215
Publisher: Walker Books
Published: March 5th, 2011
Genre: Contemporary Realism 
Audience: Young Adult
Book Came From: library & library
Rating: 5 stars: I'd try to simultaneously try to hug and run away from this book.  It wouldn't end well.(Becky)
5 I'd let this book move in with me (Randi)
The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.
But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting. He's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.It wants the truth
Our Thoughts

Becky in black
Randi in purple



This was a beautifully written book, and not the kind you can read with dry eyes. Oh my goodness did I cry. I kept waiting for husband to look up from his gaming and say "what's wrong?" Much like he did when I reread The Fault in Our Stars. This would make a good partner book for John Green's "The Fault in Our Stars". Okay, dude. That's just weird. I didn't even read your review yet. I've formed the habit of not reading the description of books before checking them out.  Book covers often give away too much and I feel cheated. So here I was thinking this was horror, and in a way it still is, but I was not expecting a story so richly and darkly imagined, nor so incredibly poignant. Bahaha. I knew what it was about. :) I should have known since you picked it, lol. MUAHAHA. And you LIKED it. :P

I think a lot of kids dealing with grief could relate to this, and it could also probably be read by a mature middle grader. Totally agree. I feel like even as an adult, I gleaned something very important from it. It's one of those ageless books. And I can't help but wonder why it hasn't gotten more attention in the blogosphere (maybe I just wasn't paying as much attention around its release?). The story has a familiar, formulaic structure, but that doesn't really help to pull the punches much. Formula, schmormula! Our main character was a very typical teen boy stereotype, but for me that made his  emotions more accessible, even though he could not access them himself. I related to his anger, but I didn't really see the stereotypical teen boy. I loved how the monster used the stories to help the boy understand himself and his life.  I also liked how he tricked both the boy and the reader. Yes! I felt like the monster really allowed me to feel what the boy was feeling because my perceptions of the monster were constantly changing as I read. (Totally loved the three tales, though!)

The illustrations really add a lot, although initially I didn't think I'd like them. I'm still so-so on them. When I see pictures in chapter books I immediately think of a more childish story-line, but that is not at all the case here. Judgy McJudgerPants! I'm not really sure how these were done, but they look like pen and ink or ink prints, and their atmosphere mirrors the tragic and frightening feeling of the story. Agreed. I think they fit, but I wasn't a huge fan. I personally could have done without them. Your mom could have done without them. ROFL. Totally recommend this for a powerful, emotional read!!!

FTC Disclaimer: All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

4 comments:

  1. All I can say is YES to this! I totally didn't look at any reviews, or even a book summary when I read this, so I was surprised at what it turned out to be. And it was so, so sad.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I feel weird saying I "liked" it, because it was horrifically depressing, but so well done! thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. It's Patrick Ness. 'nough said. Anything he writes is spun from gold! This is in my tbr pile *grr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to continue the Chaos Trilogy! You MUST read this, Kimba. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...