Friday, October 5, 2012

Terror 'Tober (Becky): Review of Fugitives

jack-o-lantern

Check out Terror 'Tober Event Page here!
Title: Fugitives
Author: Alexander Gordon Smith
Pages: 288
Genre: Horror (Science Fiction/Fantasy crossover)
Audience: Teen
 Rating: 3.5-I'd friend this series on facebook and hang out with them in group environments only.




Adapted Goodreads Summary:Forever altered by his experience in Furnace Penetentiary, Alex has done the impossible and escaped. But the battle for freedom is only just beginning. Charged with his superhuman abilities, Alex must uncover the last of Furnace’s secrets—the truth about the man who built the prison: Alfred Furnace.  To do that, he must stop running and finally confront his greatest fears

My Thoughts

I really like this series, which may seem odd given my three star rating. The story itself just grabs you and pulls you along kicking and screaming into a fast-paced nightmare-world. The writing, however, is not so strong. Smith uses so much repetition and over-exaggeration that at times, it pulls me out of his story. I'm never really sure how big things are or how hurt people get, as it seems to change with the drama of a situation. You have to be able to suspend reality and ignore the fact that all of these kids would be dead by now, given what they endure. Luckily I can. 

The characters are not especially complex, but for the most part I did end up hoping they would live. This is a plot/action based story, but Smith could have spent more time fleshing out the characters' personalities and emotions. Alex often asks himself if someone like him even deserves to be saved, when as far as I can tell he was just a bit of a delinquent. 

This series is undeniably aimed at boys, though I think any fan of horror could enjoy it. There is one girl in this book, but she doesn't actually do anything...at all. Bygones. I cannot wait for the last book in the series. 

Read Alikes:




FTC Disclaimer

All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.


Becky's Sig

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...