Check out Terror 'Tober Event Page
here!
Title: Sharp Teeth
Author: Toby Barlow
Pages: 312
Audience:Adult
Genre: Horror (verse/ werewolf)
Source: library
Rating: 3 stars- I'd friend this book on Facebook but hide it from my feed
Goodreads Summary
An ancient race of lycanthropes has survived to the present day, and its numbers are growing. Bent on dominance, rival factions are initiating the down-and-out of L.A. into their ranks. Caught in the middle are Anthony, a kindhearted, lovesick dogcatcher, and the object of his affection: a female werewolf who has abandoned her pack.
My Thoughts
I just don't know about this book. I think it probably has a little more appeal to a male audience in general. The use of verse to tell the story didn't really do anything for me, and may have detracted from my ability to connect to any of the characters. I felt like the unnatural flow of the language, while interesting, kept me at a distance from the people/dogs and events. They also weren't particularly well fleshed out as characters, although perhaps that is because of the whole pack mentality aspect.
I didn't really care for the violence or the graphic depictions of unromantic sex. It gets a bit too close to bestiality for my tastes. Even the one "romance" was a bit insta-lovey. I never really got why Anthony and "the girl" (can't even remember her name) were so besotted with each other.
I did like the use of were-dogs rather than the expected werewolves. It made it more gritty and urban. I also think the writing style and language was unique and well-done, though not suited to my particular tastes. The whole gang/pack element, was lost on me but I think a certain audience would really like it.
wow this sounds like violent horror..eep!
ReplyDelete