What's Next is a weekly feature started by Hafsah at IceyBooks. Basically, we need your help deciding what to read next! So check out the books below & vote on what YOU think should be our next read!
I just finished the Night Circus and I am in frantic need of something just as awesome. If you know a lushly descriptive, magical realism story that isn't one of my picks, please feel free to suggest it in the comments below.
I just finished the Night Circus and I am in frantic need of something just as awesome. If you know a lushly descriptive, magical realism story that isn't one of my picks, please feel free to suggest it in the comments below.
The Shadow of the Wind
Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.
The Prestige
In 1878, two young stage magicians clash in the dark during the course of a fraudulent séance. From this moment on, their lives become webs of deceit and revelation as they vie to outwit and expose one another.
Their rivalry will take them to the peaks of their careers, but with terrible consequences. In the course of pursuing each other's ruin, they will deploy all the deception their magicians' craft can command--the highest misdirection and the darkest science.
Blood will be spilled, but it will not be enough. In the end, their legacy will pass on for generations...to descendants who must, for their sanity's sake, untangle the puzzle left to them.
Cloud Atlas
A reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850; a disinherited composer blagging a precarious livelihood in between-the-wars Belgium; a high-minded journalist in Governor Reagan’s California; a vanity publisher fleeing his gangland creditors; a genetically modified “dinery server” on death-row; and Zachry, a young Pacific Islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilisation—the narrators of Cloud Atlas hear each other’s echoes down the corridor of history, and their destinies are changed in ways great and small.
In his captivating third novel, David Mitchell erases the boundaries of language, genre and time to offer a meditation on humanity’s dangerous will to power, and where it may lead us.

Shadow of the wind! Takes a couple of pages to get into but once you do, it's really really good :)
ReplyDeleteThe Shadow of the Wind.... :)
ReplyDeleteJenea @ Books Live Forever's What's Next
Cloud Atlas. I want to read this soon.
ReplyDeleteMy vote goes to Cloud Atlas, I hope that I get to read that one soon!
ReplyDeleteKristin @ Young Adult Book Haven
I vote for The Shadow of the Wind. :)
ReplyDeleteI'd appreciate a vote on mine!
The Night Circus was so amazing & magical!
ReplyDeleteI vote for The Shadow of the Wind - still haven't read it, it's sitting on my shelf unread, but I've heard it's amazing!
My vote is for The Shadow in the Wind! :)
ReplyDelete~Allison @ Good Books and Good Wine
I LOVED The Night Circus.
ReplyDeleteHmm I would go with Cloud Atlas just to read before the movie.