Saturday, October 6, 2012

Stacking the Shelves (7): The Crazy-Awesome Edition!



This meme is hosted (and was created by!) the lovely Tynga at Tynga's Reviews to share any new books we procure - from purchased books, review books, library books, gifted books, and ebooks! We're excited to be participating! :) As always, all titles link to Goodreads.

For Becky this week!


The Red Umbrella by Christina Diaz Gonzalez

*****************


This week....I (Randi) got to meet Lois Lowry!!! I know, right! It was so fitting that she came to speak/read during Banned Books Week since The Giver continues to be one of the most challenged books! Also, I would like to mention that Ms. Lowry is the first young adult author I've ever had the chance to see since, despite Iowa City being one of UNESCO's Cities of Literature, we don't get very many young adult authors visiting, which is very sad! 

Here's a picture so you can be jealous. :) I love you all!



There's Ms. Lowry signing my books! (The lady on the right is an assistant.)



Me & friends!
Three fellow pre-service English/language arts teachers right there! :) 


I already had a copy of The Giver, but I figured I might as well put them all in the picture. :) All of these are signed!
The Giver Quartet links: The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger, Son


Then I got home late last night only to find a package on my couch which contained....



Through to You by Emily Hainsworth
Beautiful Music for Ugly Children by Kirstin Cronn-Mills
Send Me a Sign by Tiffany Schmidt
Yesterday by C.K. Kelly Martin

all brand-new releases sent to me by the wonderful Courtney Summers (author of one of my all-time faves, This is Not a Test among others!) for winning her giveaway contest on Facebook. So psyched to read all of these! :) 

Though my grad school schedule means much less time for pleasure reading, I'll try to have reviews of ALL of these books (all eight) up before the end of the year. And again, sorry for the crappy picture quality on the book pics!

So what's new on YOUR shelf this week?
Link us up & we'll stop by!

14 comments:

  1. It's awesome that you got to meet Lois, I know one of my co-bloggers is a big fan of The Giver, I'll have to tell her about this post!

    And great haul, Through to You sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D So excited to get to my new, shiny books.

      Delete
  2. Yay - how exciting! So glad you had a great time - I really liked The Giver too, but I haven't read anything else by Lowry.

    Tanya Patrice

    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember loving her book Number the Stars when I was in junior high. And her Anastasia Krupnik series. :) I must admit, I really disliked the Giver when I read it for class in sixth grade, but I'm anxious to reread it as an adult. There are so many books I read for school that I think I would enjoy much more now!

      Delete
  3. Awesome collection and great that you got to meet Lois!

    Hope you both have a good week!!

    My Sts @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! Makes me excited to meet more YA authors! :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on all the new books and the bookish awesomeness with Lois! Enjoy and happy reading! ^.^ If you would like to check out my Stacking The Shelves you can do so here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully I'll get a chance to dig into all of these soon. :)

      Delete
  5. I freaking love Lois Lowry! I have a signed Giver but it would be so cool to have the rest signed! Hope you enjoy all those fab books from Courtney Summers!

    Tara @ Hobbitsies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! I'm excited for all of them, but I think Beautiful Music for Ugly Children will be my first read from these. Can't wait. :)

      Delete
  6. I still need to read The Giver. I feel like the only person who didn't have to read it in school, but I hear it's great. That's awesome that you got to meet the author! Enjoy your books =) My STS/Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, Becky, you got some seriously awesome stuff this week! I have yet to read The Giver (I know, I know!) but it's so cool that you got to meet the author! Also, Through to You looks SO good. I think parallel worlds sound seriously awesome, I can't wait to read all about that!

    Fabulous haul! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool to get to meet Lois Lowry. I can't believe that I have yet to read The Giver! And Yesterday looks so good. Enjoy!

    Thanks for stopping by my Added to the Bookshelf post!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great haul! Through to You definitely seems interesting! Happy reading. :D


    My Sts
    -Shauna @thesisterstale

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...