Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Picture Book Spotlight: The Book That Eats People


Title: The Book That Eats People
Author: John Perry
Pages: 38
Audience: Grades 2-3
Genre: Horror

Goodreads Summary:

WARNING! THIS IS NOT A BEDTIME STORY
Legend has it there exists a book that eats people.

This is that book!
Many readers have been unable to escape its perilous pages.
But this isn't that book.

Yes it is!
This is simply a story about that book.
Really. I mean, how could a book eat people?
So if you're just dying to know the history of this literary monster, all you have to do is turn the page...

Don't do it!
My Thoughts: 

This is a great scary read for an older audience.  I wouldn't read this to a group younger than second grade, though, and parents should be warned that it is scary if you're doing it for a storytime.  I loved the colorful illustrations and the sense of foreboding.  The book does not pull punches.  Children and adults really do get eaten by this book, along with other books.  This is exactly the kind of story I would have loved as a little girl, but it is not for everyone.  I'd recommend to fans of "The Stinky Cheese Man" by Jon Scieszk.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun one! It reminds me of a certain Harry Potter book...:D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...