Thursday, August 23, 2012

What's Next (6): Randi





What's Next is a weekly feature started by Hafsah at IceyBooks. Basically, we need your help deciding what to read next! So check out the books below & vote on what YOU think should be our next read!

Hi, all! It's Randi here this week, and I'm trying to decide which of my library books (which are all very different) to read next. I'll read them all soon, hopefully, but two of them already have reviews scheduled down the line, so if one of those wins, I'll let you know when that review will be up! 

My review of The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney, which had the most votes on my previous What's Next post, went up on Monday, so check that out here.




Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko

Summary from Goodreads: Today I moved to a twelve-acre rock covered with cement, topped with bird turd and surrounded by water. I'm not the only kid who lives here. There's my sister, Natalie, except she doesn't count. And there are twenty-three other kids who live on the island because their dads work as guards or cook's or doctors or electricians for the prison, like my dad does. Plus, there are a ton of murderers, rapists, hit men, con men, stickup men, embezzlers, connivers, burglars, kidnappers and maybe even an innocent man or two, though I doubt it. The convicts we have are the kind other prisons don't want. I never knew prisons could be picky, but I guess they can. You get to Alcatraz by being the worst of the worst. Unless you're me. I came here because my mother said I had to.




Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Summary from Goodreads: Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared. Once upon a time, my name was not Alice. 

Once upon a time, I didn't know how lucky I was. 

When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends -- her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over.

Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her.

This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.




Summary from Goodreads: In the slums of eighteenth-century France, the infant Jean-Baptiste Grenouille is born with one sublime gift—an absolute sense of smell. As a boy, he lives to decipher the odors of Paris, and apprentices himself to a prominent perfumer who teaches him the ancient art of mixing precious oils and herbs. But Grenouille's genius is such that he is not satisfied to stop there, and he becomes obsessed with capturing the smells of objects such as brass doorknobs and frest-cut wood. Then one day he catches a hint of a scent that will drive him on an ever-more-terrifying quest to create the "ultimate perfume"—the scent of a beautiful young virgin. Told with dazzling narrative brillance, Perfume is a hauntingly powerful tale of murder and sensual depravity.


So which one of these do YOU think I should read next? 
Let me know in the comments!

16 comments:

  1. The answer you are seeking is Perfume, lol. But seriously, that book is one of the creepiest serial killer stories EVER. Did you see the movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Haven't seen the movie. It's one of the books I'm planning to review for October, so I'll definitely read it soon! (Unlike all the books I buy, the library books actually get read...hmm...maybe I'm onto something here!!!)

      Delete
  2. Living Dead Girl. And, now I can't get Rob Zombie's song out of my head. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another vote for Living Dead Girl! It's such a creepy, powerful read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for Living Dead Girl...

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever
    http://booksliveforever.com/?p=3496

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenea! It's looking like the winner. :)

      Delete
  5. I'd vote for living dead girl i have been debating reading this one for awhile to now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote is for Living Dead Girl. :)

    Allison @ Good Books and Good Wine

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...