Saturday, August 18, 2012

Review: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Title: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer #2)
Author: Lish McBride
Publication Date: October 12th, 2010
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Genre: Paranormal Fantasy
Audience: Young Adult (I'd say older YA)
Pages: 343
Source: library
Rating: 4 I'd take this book for coffee

Summary from Goodreads: Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else. 

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?


My Thoughts: I had never read a book featuring necromancers before, so the premise really intrigued me. I also haven’t read much in the way of paranormal books (YA or adult) in quite a while. And I really enjoyed it! If you like witty and sometimes dark humor with a paranormal twist, don’t miss this one. Sam and his friends totally made this book for me. Sam and Ramon in particular were very witty and had some great one-liners (I’ll list some of my favorites below). I would totally hang out with them; they felt like my friends in this story – the “weird” kids on the fringe of society – because although my friends and I weren’t disliked in high school, we weren’t athletic or anything either, so I totally related to Sam, Ramon, Frank, and Brooke. I never got very attached to Brid (the love interest), and I’m still not quite sure what she looks like, which kind of bugged me, but I had fun getting to know the other supporting characters, such as Ashley, Brooke, Mrs. W, and Sam’s family. And even though Douglas is very easy to hate, his character is very well drawn and he makes the perfect villain.

The romance definitely wasn’t the highlight of this story for me, though it was cute. It was pretty sudden, but that didn’t bother me considering the circumstances. I’m curious to know more about the different kinds of creatures (from the fey hounds to werewolves and hybrids, to necromancers, witches, satyrs, etc.) I hope there’s some more details on those creatures in the next book. I also wish there had been a little more info about Sam’s history because I found those parts some of the most intriguing. I guess, overall, I would have liked a little more “world building,” even though the story is set in Seattle. I did get a sense of Seattle, but I wanted to know more of the fantasy/paranormal aspects. Although, it makes sense that there’s not a ton of detail here since the story is mostly told first-person through Sam’s eyes. Though I should mention that the chapters switch back and forth from first-person Sam narrative to third-person following various secondary characters (Douglas, Brid, etc.).

Totally loved the chapter titles! They were all (I’m assuming all, since I didn’t recognize all of them) song titles! Song titles that ACTUALLY fit the story and chapters! It gave me a smile every time I started a new chapter. J I’m anxious to catch up with these characters (mostly Sam and his friends), and I will definitely be checking out the sequel, Necromancing the Stone, which comes out Sept. 18th. Definitely look into it if you like witty humor, paranormal YA (though I’d say older YA due to some of the content), or just want to try something different.

Quotes I liked:

“You get used to the moody weather and give up on umbrellas. Umbrellas are for tourists. Natives know that the rain doesn’t come straight down here like other places. Seattle’s rain slips in, tricky, like a ninja, and attacks from all sides.” (p. 88). This one totally reminded me of Wales, one of my favorite places, because the rain is exactly like that. Loved this description!

“ ‘You can French braid?’ Brooke blinked in surprise.
         ‘Chica, I got three little sisters that I used to help get ready for school. Three picky little sisters. I could do this in my sleep.’ He stuck the end of the brush in his mouth and started to separate her hair into manageable pieces. ‘Any real man can French braid a girl’s hair,’ he said around the handle.” (p. 192)

“ ‘What’s wrong with China?’
        Douglas turned his stare on me, but this time it was tinged with derision. ‘Trade imbalance, human rights violations, contaminated medicines?’
        I shook my head. I tried not to watch the news. Too depressing. They just don’t make very good episodes of it anymore.
        Douglas sighed again. ‘Lead-based paint on toys?’
        ‘Oh, right. They made a reference to that on Law & Order, I think.’” (p. 99)

Randi Review Sig

FTC Disclaimer

All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...