Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What's Next (5): Becky




What's Next is a weekly feature started by Hafsah at IceyBooks. Basically, we need your help deciding what to read next! So check out the books below & vote on what YOU think should be our next read!

Hey, it's Becky! My review of your pick from last time will be up as soon as I can get the darn thing from the library! I've been bouncing around states, and that makes checkouts hard to time. This week I'm trying to choose between three Printz Award Winners.  I've read a bunch of Libba Bray/John Green and loved them both.  Zusak is a bit of a wild-card for me!  Which do you think?


The Book Thief
Markys Zusak
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Historical Fiction


It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

Why do I want to read it? I'm madly in love with the cover.  I actually avoid both historical fiction and World War II stories, but this cover keeps tempting me back.


An Abundance of Katherines
John Green
Audience: YA
Genre: Contemporary Realism


When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He's also a washed-up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin's on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl. Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin's hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere
Why do I want to read it?  John Green is amazing.  I just finished "Looking for Alaska" and "The Fault in Our Stars".


Going Bovine
Libba Bray
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy (humor)


All 16-year-old Cameron wants is to get through high school—and life in general—with a minimum of effort. It’s not a lot to ask. But that’s before he’s given some bad news: he’s sick and he’s going to die. Which totally sucks. Hope arrives in the winged form of Dulcie, a loopy punk angel/possible hallucination with a bad sugar habit. She tells Cam there is a cure—if he’s willing to go in search of it. With the help of a death-obsessed, video-gaming dwarf and a yard gnome, Cam sets off on the mother of all road trips through a twisted America into the heart of what matters most.

Why do I want to read it?  "A Great and Terrible Beauty" and "Zombies vs Unicorns" were favorites of mine!

8 comments:

  1. Ohhhh these all sound soo good! But...the one I really felt a connection to (HAHHA...Yes I did ;p) was An Abundance of Katherines!! This sounds amazing and cute and adorable! What more can you ask for?? :D Happy Reading! :D

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Book Thief! LOVED it. Hated Going Bovine. Although I'd love if you read An Abundance of Katherines as well since it's on my TBR!

    My final vote is The Book Thief, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG The Book Thief. So amazing!
    Ok, I've heard that both Going Bovine & An Abundance of Katherines are amazing, too, but still haven't read them, but The Book Thief is a must read, you should read it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote is for An Abundance Of Katherines. It sounds really good :)


    My What’s Next

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard great things about The Book Thief so that's my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Book Thief...

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever
    http://booksliveforever.com/?p=3322

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote goes to Abundance of Katherines I have been dying to read a John Green book!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...