Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (4): Becky & Randi


Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday was started by Jill at Breaking the Spine for book bloggers to highlight the books we are anxiously awaiting!

Today, Randi is waiting on:

Ask the Passengers
by A.S. King
Publication Date: October 23rd, 2012

Summary from Goodreads: Astrid Jones copes with her small town's gossip and narrow-mindedness by staring at the sky and imagining that she's sending love to the passengers in the airplanes flying high over her backyard. Maybe they'll know what to do with it. Maybe it'll make them happy. Maybe they'll need it. Her mother doesn't want it, her father's always stoned, her perfect sister's too busy trying to fit in, and the people in her small town would never allow her to love the person she really wants to: another girl named Dee. There's no one Astrid feels she can talk to about this deep secret or the profound questions that she's trying to answer. But little does she know just how much sending her love--and asking the right questions--will affect the passengers' lives, and her own, for the better. 

In this unmistakably original portrayal of a girl struggling to break free of society's boxes and definitions, Printz Honor author A.S. King asks readers to question everything--and offers hope to those who will never stop seeking and sharing real love.

Why I'm waiting anxiously: Yet another cover I love! It reaelly seems to match the synopsis; I can see Astrid lying in a field, looking up at the planes passing overhead. This sounds like a great contemporary read (one of my faves!) and honestly, this sounds like the kind of town I grew up in. I think I'll really connect with Astrid on that level. And I'm glad to see more YA books with LBGTQ characters. :)


Today, Becky is waiting on:

When We Wake
by Karen Healey
Publication Date: March 5th, 2013

Summary from Goodreads:

Sixteen-year-old Tegan is just like every other girl living in 2027—she’s happiest when playing the guitar, she’s falling in love for the first time, and she’s joining her friends to protest the wrongs of the world: environmental collapse, social discrimination, and political injustice.

But on what should have been the best day of Tegan’s life, she dies—and wakes up a hundred years in the future, locked in a government facility with no idea what happened.

Tegan is the first government guinea pig to be cryonically frozen and successfully revived, which makes her an instant celebrity—even though all she wants to do is try to rebuild some semblance of a normal life. But the future isn’t all she hoped it would be, and when appalling secrets come to light, Tegan must make a choice: Does she keep her head down and survive, or fight for a better future?

Award-winning author Karen Healey has created a haunting, cautionary tale of an inspiring protagonist living in a not-so-distant future that could easily be our own.


Why I'm waiting anxiously: I LOVE books about death or age defying science.  Clones, freezing, body hopping, evil queens sucking the youth out of people...ok so the last one isn't science.  But still, that topic never really gets old because we never stop being afraid of death.  I also really love the frosty cover!

26 comments:

  1. Great picks! I am keen to read When We Wake as well, Ask the Passengers sounds intriguing!

    My WoW - http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/waiting-on-wednesday-8th-august.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these look great, I will add them to my TBR list. I followed your blog via GFC : )

    My WOW and international giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love contributing to others' TBR lists. ;) Thank you for the follow!

      Delete
  3. Nice picks! Ive not heard of either book, but Ask The Passengers sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both look great, but I really like the look and sound of Ask the Passengers...very unique portrayal of important issues.

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I completely agree, it should be really interesting! :)

      Delete
  5. When We Wake sounds fabulous.
    Hope you get to read it soon! Feel free to check out my WoW here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome picks! I can't wait to read When We Wake. It sounds absolutely amazing. :) The cover is kind of creepy though!

    I've heard many amazing things about A.S. King's novels. I'm really going to have to check some of them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krystianna! I really need to get hold of A. S. King's other novels as well! :)

      Delete
  7. Both have beautiful covers and sound awesome. Great picks and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my god YES! When We Wake! Doesn't that sound totally incredibly awesome? I'm dying to read this one too. Ugh at the publication date (March 2013!). How on earth can we be patient until then?? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! I could probably fill a bookshelf with all the books I already want that aren't released until next year!!! xD

      Delete
  9. When We Wake sounds really cool. Can't wait to read it! Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, these are such fantastic picks! Loving the covers of both of these babies! Especially the second! I'll be keeping my eye out for both books! Great Choice!
    Thanks for stopping by My WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Aren't they gorgeous covers? ;) I'm a sucker for a pretty cover! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  11. When We Wake is on my TBR and I am also looking forward to it. I hadn't heard of Ask the Passengers before but it sounds like a great story and I also love how the cover goes with the beginning of the synopsis too. Great picks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh both of these look really great. I love the cover of the AS King. I've only read one of her books so far and it was tough - Everybody Sees the Ants. Man, the bullying! This second one looks awesome too because those types of books are always SO EXCITING to me. Great picks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both of these sound really good. I need to add them to my tbr. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...