Saturday, August 25, 2012

Review: Graffiti Moon

Title: Graffiti Moon 
Author: Cath Crowley
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Publication Date: Feb. 14th, 2012 (USA)
Page Count: 260 (too short!)
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Audience: Young Adult
Source: library, unfortunately!
Rating: 5+ I'd fly to Australia to elope with this book!

Summary from Goodreads: Senior year is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate: tonight, she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work appears all over the city. He's out there somewhere—spraying color, spraying birds and blue sky on the night—and Lucy knows a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for. Really fall for. Instead, Lucy's stuck at a party with Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells her he knows where to find Shadow, they're suddenly on an all-night search around the city. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes.

My thoughts: Have you heard the hype about this book? Either way, it's well deserved. I've found yet another new favorite this year. (I'm beginning to feel like you're all going to think I just love every book, but I swear, it's just been a good year!) This book kind of came out of nowhere at me. The writing is almost lyrical; the storytelling jumps from Lucy's point of view, to Ed's, to Leo's poetry; the entire story takes place over a 24-hour period. Everything about this book is unique, at least it was for me. I'm not huge on art - I enjoy looking at it, but analyzing it is not my forte (hence the fact that I'm working toward teaching English and not art!), so the way Crowley is able to make me see and feel Shadow's paintings/murals/graffiti/what-you-will and Lucy's glassblowing is kind of incredible. I don't know art. This is not the kind of book I'm normally attracted to; I loved the cover at first sight (still do! The lights and graffiti splatters just work, and I appreciate that the silhouettes of Lucy & Ed are there but that they're not so detailed that you can't picture their characters for yourself), and I've really enjoyed YA contemporary this year, but I just don't pick up art books. I'm so glad I finally did pick this one up, though.


Lucy goes searching for Shadow, this graffiti artist whose work she sees all over the city, with her friends and some tag-a-long boys on graduation night. From the beginning, the reader knows what's going on, though Lucy doesn't have the slightest clue. This makes for an interesting dynamic between Lucy and Ed, who you'll come to find have an interesting past. Ed's uncertainty and even fear about what to do/say on his adventure with Lucy is endearing, especially knowing his family history and his plans with Leo for later in the evening (specifically why he agreed to said plans). I promise, I'm not trying to be cryptic, I just don't want to spoil anything! And considering this does take place in 24 hours, I think I'll stop here on plot.


The only thing that makes me sad about this book is that I wish Lucy, Ed, Leo, and Jazz were real so I could hang out with them, because they seem insanely fun. And I'd love to see Shadow and Lucy's art for myself. This book is completely self-contained; everything ties up neatly and doesn't leave you raving mad hoping for a sequel as some stand-alones seem to do (or is that just me?). I found the end very satisfying. Highly recommended!




Randi Review Sig

FTC Disclaimer

All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

4 comments:

  1. Awww I LOVED Graffiti Moon! I actually wish there was more hype for this book (because I hadn't heard much about it in the book community) because it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I hadn't heard much about it, and actually wasn't interested the first time I read the premise, but I am so glad my library had it because that's what prompted me to pick it up. Although now I need to buy my own copy!

      Delete
  2. I LOVED this one. I read it even before I started reading contemporary, and I still loved it. Loved the POV's and the poetry and the graffiti...everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, now I picked it up because of my new obsession with contemporary! ;) I loved the unique aspect of the graffiti and the glassblowing. Totally cool!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...