Saturday, August 4, 2012

Review: Storm (Elementals #1)

Title: Storm (Elementals series #1)
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Publication Date: April 24th, 2012
Publisher: Kensington
Genre: Paranormal & Romance (not the adult sexy kind)
Audience: Young Adult (though there is a lot of swearing)
Pages: 353
Source: Own (won a copy from the lovely ladies @ Me, My Shelf & I)
Rating: 4.5 stars I'd take a trip to Vegas with this book

Summary from Goodreads: Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys - all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming.


My thoughts: First off, I love this book. I would gladly take Becca’s place. And take Chris. Or Gabriel. Or Nick. Or even Michael. Heck, I’m not picky! I love those Merrick boys.

I’ve never read a story about elementals, and my experience with elementals to this point was of killing them in World of Warcraft. But these elementals are a teensy bit different; they’re not whirlwinds of air or water…they’re hot. (Well, Gabriel’s a fire elemental, so he’s literally hot.) But seriously, these Merrick brothers…DAMN. They’re snarky, serious, powerful, and mysterious.

 Anyway, this story was a pageturner. Not everything is spelled out in the beginning, in fact, it starts with an action scene (Fight! Fight! Fight!), so you literally HAVE to keep turning the pages to find out what in the hell is going on. The whole book is like that. It is intense!

Another thing I love about this book is the high school atmosphere Brigid Kemmerer has created; every little detail reminded me of what it felt like to be in high school – the uncertainty of a relationship (or is it? Are we just friends? Is he flirting with me?! What did he mean by that?!), the spats with friends (why is she so MOODY?!), the rocky relationship with the parentals (they seriously expect everything to be just fine between us?!) – it’s all here. It makes the story seem real, which is kind of incredible since we’re talking about elementals (I know, I know, everyone is inside the circle…).

The writing. I docked this book a half star because although I loved it and am biting my nails waiting for the next book (and I am not a nail-biter by nature!), the writing fell short when compared to the books that I have given a full five stars. I just couldn’t put Storm on the same level as the beautiful writing of Laini Taylor in Daughter of Smoke and Bone or the sweet, funny, and/or snarky moments in Huntley Fitzpatrick’s My Life Next Door. But that’s okay! Because although the book is clearly well written (seriously, it is! And it is funny! And there are sweet and snarky moments!), it doesn’t need to be that kind of story. It's got a cast full of kick-ass characters and a crazy cool plot. It’s intense and it makes your heart pound wondering what the hell is coming next. The feel of this book is completely different, and I love it even for that. I’m just not ready to say I’d marry it quite yet (maybe one of those Merrick boys if I weren’t already married and fictional boys were real..!), but I’d definitely consider taking a trip to Vegas and seeing what happens…

So if you’re looking for a delightful, fast-paced, butterflies-in-the-stomach, hot-boys (multiple ones!), and a little bit of paranormal, don’t miss this one!

There are also novellas: Elemental (#.5 - pre-Storm) and Fearless (#1.5 - post-Storm) and Spark (#2 in the series!) comes out August 28th!

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Shane! :) Let me know what you think! I really, really can't wait for Spark!

      Delete
  2. I've been hearing awesome things about this series. I must try it for myself soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! Definitely do! And let me know what you think. :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I love this book!
    I really, really appreciated the way that Kemmerer handled the sexual assault - one of my pet hates in fiction is when the author puts their characters through traumatic situations to further the plot and doesn't explore how that would have affected them emotionally, mentally, socially and physically. I also really, really liked Becca - I mean, gotta love the boys, but something about Becca just clicked for me. I would so want her as a best friend in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops! Forgot to mention - I love your review too! It's making me want to do a reread. Again.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Alexandra! I kind of can't wait to reread it, despite the fact that I JUST finished it hahaha. I totally agree - Kemmerer did handle the sexual assault really well! And I think that whole situation was portrayed very realistically as far as Becca's reactions and such. I really liked Becca as well! She seems like a real sweetheart. And very caring, always helping animals. :) I could totally identify with her family issues as well.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...