Title: House of the Scorpion
Author: Nancy Farmer
Pages: 380
Audience: young adult
Source:library(Becky) bought (Randi)
Rating: 5 I'd marry this book even if was a clone
4 I'd take this book to dinner where we'd feast on suckled pig and honey on toast
4 I'd take this book to dinner where we'd feast on suckled pig and honey on toast
Goodreads Summary:
Matteo Alacran was not born; he was harvested with the DNA from El Patron, lord of a country called Opium. Can a boy who was bred to guarantee another’s survival find his own purpose in life? And can he ever be free?
Our Thoughts
Becky in black. Randi in Red
My favorite aspect of this story was the comparison of extreme individuality (El Patron) to extreme collectivism (the orphanage). It was muy creepy. Both were presented as negative and corrupt in different ways. The book did not offer a utopian ideal, which I applaud it for. That was a nice change...but I like some level of happiness in my books! And it seemed people were only happy in this story when they were ignorant. :( (just like real life!) I love books that have a strong message but let the reader discover it instead of just endlessly telling them what they should think. If my brain isn't engaged then I don't enjoy a book. Touche, it's not a didactic book and I appreciate that about it.
The second best part of this book was the issue of cloning and making Crots/Eejits. I thought it showed some of the potential dangers of cloning well, like harvesting organs to prolong life unnaturally and the view of the clones as less than people. So sad how Matt was treated! But I like that it sends the "subliminal" message you were talking about. The additional problem of legally damaging clone brains to make them seem less human or non-clone brains to make them the perfect slaves was fascinating and horrific. Right! This is definitely an issue driven story rather than plot or action. Not gonna lie, it took me awhile to get through the first half of the book, but after that the story started to pick up for me.
I love that you guys reviewed this book (and I love Twice Baked Reviews in general, too). I read it a long time ago (maybe 2005?) but fell in love with it. Such an under appreciated novel, in my opinion. Was excited to see that you both rated it highly!
ReplyDelete