Monday, November 26, 2012

Review (Randi): high PROBABILITY that I ugly-cried reading this book -- The Probability of Miracles


Title: The Probability of Miracles
Author: Wendy Wunder
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: December 8th, 2011 (original)
Page Count: 368
Genre: contemporary
Audience: young adult
Source: won from Goodreads giveaway!
Rating: 4 I'd totally help this book cross everything off its Flamingo List



Goodreads Summary: 
Campbell Cooper has never been in love. And if the doctors are right, she'll never have the chance. So when she's told she needs a miracle, her family moves 1,500 miles north to Promise, Maine--a place where amazing, unexplainable events are said to occur--like it or not. And when a mysterious envelope arrives, containing a list of things for Cam to do before she dies, she finally learns to believe--in love, in herself, and maybe even in miracles, as improbable as they may seem. 

My thoughts:  Yes, this is a cancer book. Yes, there are "miracles." You could perhaps call this magical realism. It wasn't a read-in-one-sitting kind of book for me. In fact, it took me awhile to finish this one because I had to read it in small doses. At times it's funny, sometimes it's heart-wrenching, and it is a prime example of young adult literature. This is the good stuff, folks. If it weren't for the fact that I totes ugly-cried while reading, it probably would've gotten a 5 rating from me instead of a 4. Cam is a sassy, spunky, sarcastic teen who really grows throughout this novel. At the beginning, she is understandably kind of prickly, after all she knows she's dying and she's so over all of her mother's last-ditch miracle cure efforts. And then the family goes to Promise, Maine, the town of miracles like wild flamingos and purple dandelions. 

This is totally Cam's story. In fact, there's a boy, and I wasn't attracted to him in the least. Rather than placing myself in Cam's situation, I felt like I was on the sidelines cheering her on; I winced at the James Madison donkey incident and giggled about the baby flamingo. Cam is someone I'd be delighted to meet. She's a wonderful character to spend nearly 400 pages alongside. Asher, Cam's love-interest, frustrated me while at the next moment melting my heart. He wasn't your average YA love-interest cutie pie (you know the type, 100% perfect guy, absolutely no flaws). Nope, Asher definitely has flaws. And the fact that not even the love-interest is painted as perfect makes this story seem that much more realistic. I loved Cam's family as well. Some of the moments between Cam and various family members (mom, sister, and grandma) just ring so true to my life. Despite the possible magical realism (I've never been good at categorizing books folks, sorry!), this entire books rings true. It's hard to believe that this is a debut because it is just so.well.written. Highly recommended!

Randi Review Sig

FTC Disclaimer: All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

1 comment:

  1. Cam sounds great and I just added this to my wishlist.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...