Title: Luna
Author: Julie Anne Peters
Pages:248
Genre: contemporary realism (GLBTIQ)
Audience: Young Adult
Rating: Five Stars- I'd marry this book but yet again, I am not its type.
Goodreads Summary:
Regan's brother Liam can't stand the person he is during the day. Like the moon from whom Liam has chosen his female namesake, his true self, Luna, only reveals herself at night. In the secrecy of his basement bedroom Liam transforms himself into the beautiful girl he longs to be, with help from his sister's clothes and makeup. Now, everything is about to change-Luna is preparing to emerge from her cocoon. But are Liam's family and friends ready to welcome Luna into their lives? Compelling and provocative, this is an unforgettable novel about a transgender teen's struggle for self-identity and acceptance.
What a book. I cried so much while reading it, which is highly unusual for me. The issue of transgender isn't one I know much about or was previously very comfortable with. This book helped me understand on an emotional level what it would be like to feel to be born one way but feel and think another.
I liked that we got the story from Re's view, because it was easier for me to relate directly to her and see her brother/Luna through her eyes. It was less of a shock than telling the story from Luna's perspective would be to many people, so I think it can reach a wider audience. I also liked that the story focused on how painful it is (or can be) for the whole family, as well as the transgender individual who is transitioning. I did find the parents of Luna somewhat monstrous. I feel like Luna was too forgiving of them and I'm not sure they deserved it.
I would recommend this to many people, including those going through a transition themselves, family and friends of a transgender individual, and those just trying to understand the process and the feelings.
A fair amount of reviews on goodreads criticism this book for having a "too stereotypical" transgender character. That may be true, but I don't necessarily view it as a negative. There are people like this and I think it's a good intro to the topic for those completely unfamiliar, resistant or new to it.
I've loved all of Peters' books that I've read so far and I imagine this one is just as good! It sounds absolutely amazing.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your review!