Saturday, November 24, 2012

Review (Randi): MONSTER


Title: Monster
Author: Walter Dean Myers
Publisher: Amistad
Publication Date: first pubbed in 1999
Page Count: 281
Genre: contemporary/realistic, "issues" book
Audience: young adult
Source: bought (for class)
Rating: 3 I'd write this book letters while it awaited trial



Goodreads Summary: 
FADE IN: INTERIOR: Early morning in CELL BLOCK D, MANHATTAN DETENTION CENTER.

Steve (Voice-Over) Sometimes I feel like I have walked into the middle of a movie. Maybe I can make my own movie. The film will be the story of my life. No, not my life, but of this experience. I'll call it what the lady prosecutor called me ... Monster.




My thoughts:  I wasn't a huge fan of this book personally, but I see why it received recognition (it received a Printz Award in 2000, among others). The screenplay formatting seems kind of unique, but then again it's been over a decade since this book was first published so I'm not sure it is quite as groundbreaking in the 2010s decade as it was when it was released. This is one of those books that I think was good and deserves attention, but wasn't quite my cup of tea. 

Monster digs at some very real and sad truths about our American justice system. As someone who is a fan of t.v. shows like Law & Order: SVU, I don't often find myself empathizing with people labeled as "criminals"; however, this book makes you think about what it means to be human. Is the "monster" the boy whose signal for two men to enter, rob, and kill a shop owner was the fact that he gave no signal...or is the guard who stands and laughs at the thought of teenage Steve, guilty or not, being on Death Row? You really start to think about compassion, empathy, life, and human nature when faced with all these shades of grey. No one person is 100% good or 100% evil 100% of the time. This book really gets at that. I'm still not sure what actually happened, but after reading the entire book, I'm not sure it really matters. 

Despite the fact that this book wasn't really for me overall, I'd definitely recommend it to my students. I think it presents a point of view often overlooked and even ignored in our society. It raises questions that make you think about humanity.



Randi Review Sig

FTC Disclaimer: All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...