![]()
Title: FablehavenAuthor: Brandon MullPages: 351Genre: Fantasy (modern)Audience: TweensRating: 4 stars: I'd drink magic milk with this book
For centuries mystical creatures of all description were gathered into a hidden refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary survives today as one of the last strongholds of true magic. Enchanting? Absolutely. Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite. Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws keep relative order among greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. However, when the rules get broken Seth is a bit too curious and reckless for his own good powerful forces of evil are unleashed, and Kendra and her brother face the greatest challenge of their lives. To save their family, Fablehaven, and perhaps even the world, Kendra and Seth must find the courage to do what they fear most.
This book had a really richly developed setting, which I absolutely loved. the portrayal of fairies in particular really appealed to me. As a girl I was obsessed with them and I know I would have loved this. I also really liked the witch. She was just creepy enough without going too far. Although, what's too far for horror ;).? I think most kids could read this without getting to scared, even though it gets dark in parts. The formulaic nature of the plot and the familiar characters provide a sort of reassurance that it will follow the same trail as most fantasy before it.
I did like the danger element and the promise of more horror to come, although I'm not really one for secret societies. I'm not really sure I'll continue this series. It was very good but it just didn't grab me. It may just be that I'm experiencing ya/middle grade burn-out.
*There were some really bizarre parts of this book that kind of weirded me out. the grandma is a under a spell that turned her into a chicken, and everyone eats her eggs. Isn't that...idk...wrong? The children dangle on enormous cow teats and squeeze out milk. Milking cows is gross enough when they are normal sized. Finally there is the deep tissue troll massage that "redefined how he thought of pleasure". Enough said.
Overall I liked it a lot but I didn't "love" it, probably due to not being the ideal audience. I'd have no problem recommending it to anyone who liked fantasy. I think some YA could enjoy it as well.
I really want to read this one - one day when I have a little more time. I'll probably read it along with my children when they get just a little bit older. Your examples from the book have made me laugh! They're just the things that my kids would find hilarious. I only have the first book for now. If I like it, perhaps I'll pick up the rest. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete