Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Top Ten Books I would want on a Desert Island





Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.  

This week I'm listing the top ten books I'd want to have if I was stranded on a desert island.  In reality I'd probably choose survival reference books, but for the sake of fun..

1. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen- If nothing else this book could help give me ideas on how to survive, although the environments are very different, lol.  I LOVE survival stories, but I don't think I'd like to live one.

2. The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean- When I read about cold environments I feel really cold, and it doesn't get any more frigid than this.  Also, the girl in it invents an imaginary friend to keep her company.  Depending on how long I'm on the island, I might need one.  Hello Wilson.

3. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater.  Is there ever a time I wouldn't want this book with me? No, the answer is no.  It would also remind me that I might be stranded, but at least there wouldn't be homicidal water-horses.

4.  Zombies Vs. Unicorns by Holly Black.  I'm probably going to be a little depressed about being stranded, and this will definitely help lighten the mood!

5.The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.  If ever there was a book that took me to another reality it was this one.  I'll definitely be up for some escapism if I'm trapped on a desert island.

6. Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier.  This book has a few survival techniques along with an awesome fairytale adaptation.  i'll probably be hallucinating by the time I get to this book, and I'd like it to be about magical creatures.

7. The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss.  I've never read this one, but it seems like a good book to have around in this situation.

8. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. A book about a  girl on an isolated island. I'm guessing I'll be able to relate.

9.  Beauty Queens by Libba Bray.  I'm currently reading this one and it isn't my favorite, but it is upbeat while dealing with an island stranding.  I'm guessing I'll like it much better when I'm depressed and hungry. 

10.  Dune by Frank Herbert.  This is a long, sandy book that will help me preserve water and keep my brain occupied.  It's also an old favorite.

9 comments:

  1. Ooohhhh! Swiss Family Robinson! Good choice! I didn't even think of that one! Plus, I just ordered the Scorpio Races for my library and I'm pretty excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhhh! Swiss Family Robinson! Good choice! I didn't even think of that one! Plus, I just ordered the Scorpio Races for my library and I'm pretty excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhhh! Swiss Family Robinson! Good choice! I didn't even think of that one! Plus, I just ordered the Scorpio Races for my library and I'm pretty excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhhh! Swiss Family Robinson! Good choice! I didn't even think of that one! Plus, I just ordered the Scorpio Races for my library and I'm pretty excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohhhh! Swiss Family Robinson! Good choice! I didn't even think of that one! Plus, I just ordered the Scorpio Races for my library and I'm pretty excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Swiss Family Robinson- perfect! I've owned a copy of that book since I was a kid and have never read it. It's probably about time I did, lol. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hatchet is a good one, and Island of the Blue Dolphins is as well. Thanks for leaving the comment on my TTT! (=

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha Hatchet would definitely be a smart choice. Zombies vs. Unicorns looks great- I definitely need to read that soon! And of course, love Beauty Queens. Hopefully you'll enjoy it more once you get further into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why didn't I think of Hatchet!? Great list!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...