Saturday, November 17, 2012

(Randi) Review: CATCHING JORDAN totally caught me off guard


Title: Catching Jordan (Catching Jordan #1)
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: December 1st, 2011
Page Count: 281
Genre: contemporary romance
Audience: young adult
Source: won from Jenn Renee @ Jenn Renee Read in her Lazy Days of Summer giveaway! Thank you, Jenn Renee! :)
Rating: 4.5 I would take this book for carbo-loading at Joe's All-You-Can-Eat Pasta Shack!


Goodreads Summary: 
What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Greeen moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?




My thoughts:  I ignored the hype surrounding this book for the longest time. I'm not an athletic person. However, I LOVE football. It's the only sport I watch, and I've loved it for my whole life. (Watching it of course, I'm not  badass like Jordan!) So I don't know why  I avoided it...I guess I just was nervous to read about sports. Don't make my mistake! If you haven't read this book yet, go get a copy. Right now. As in, stop reading this review until you go get a copy. I'll wait. Okay, now that you've gotten a copy, read on! Yes there is football (and I loved those parts), but it's so much more. Books just keep surprising me this year, and this was no exception! I absolutely loved it.

There are character flaws. Jordan has got some raging lady-hormones at times, but that flaw is realistic. Same goes for Ty; I'm not a Ty-fan, but I understand how his past has made him into the way he is. I adored Jordan's guy friends. Although Jordan's BFF (Sam) Henry is a brat at times, I adore this kid. He acts like a teenage boy. As do JJ & Carter, whom I also liked, but Henry is hands down my favorite guy in the book. I loved the family dynamics between Jordan and her family. The camaraderie between Jordan & her older brother Mike is refreshing; they have a really caring brother-sister relationship. And though we don't get a lot from Jordan's mom, she is there when it counts and that really warmed me to her as a character. Jordan's dad, the great Donovan Woods, is a jerk for the majority of the novel; however, there's a moment toward the very end where he totally redeems himself in my eyes. And I may or may not have teared up. I like Marie, but I wish the relationship between Marie and Jordan was more developed - there's a hint of possible friendship there but since it's not the main focus of the story, it kind of gets squashed.

The romance. Oh the romance. I kind of figured out what was going on part way through, but I could never have predicted the details of how things would unfold. I thought it would be this cute, fluffy read, but it really surprised me by being a great and dynamic story about friendship and following your dreams. Overall, I'd suggest this to anyone looking for a unique contemporary. I can't wait to read more from Miranda Kenneally!



Randi Review Sig

FTC Disclaimer: All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

4 comments:

  1. YAY! So happy you loved it! I made Preet go buy it recently after we all discussed it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok wow. I traded someone another book for a copy of this one and it has been sitting on my shelf for the longest time! I haven't taken the time to read it yet. Since the next couple of books by this author have come out and I've seen how everyone LOVES these books, I am thinking I've waited too long to start reading them...especially since this review, which is actually the first one I've ever read for this book. This is what I call basically a glowing review, which means I need to read this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesyesyes! Read it, Asheley! I put in an interlibrary loan request for Stealing Parker (book 2) three weeks ago (right after I finished this one), and am still waiting...I'm getting antsy. LOVED the writing, loved the characters, everything.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...