Goodreads SummaryAging, self-absorbed rock star Judas Coyne has a thing for the macabre -- his collection includes sketches from infamous serial killer John Wayne Gacy, a trepanned skull from the 16th century, a used hangman's noose, Aleister Crowley's childhood chessboard, etc. -- so when his assistant tells him about a ghost for sale on an online auction site, he immediately puts in a bid and purchases it.
The black, heart-shaped box that Coyne receives in the mail not only contains the suit of a dead man but also his vengeance-obsessed spirit. The ghost, it turns out, is the stepfather of a young groupie who committed suicide after the 54-year-old Coyne callously used her up and threw her away. Now, determined to kill Coyne and anyone who aids him, the merciless ghost of Craddock McDermott begins his assault on the rocker's sanity
The writing was similar to Stephen King in many ways (unsurprising, since Hill is his son). They both have concise, masculine styles with lots of grittiness and oddly (awkwardly in my opinion) timed sexual tension. What I found different about Hill's style was the more youthful and imaginative visuals, particularly when he was getting his creep on. It felt like a bit of Clive Barker had been stirred in. There were a few really horrifically creepy scenes and a lot of being chased and slowly unraveling backstory. I would have liked more fright and less time spent on Jude, who struck me as depressingly average, licentious and washed up. For some reason I pictured him as about 35 rather than mid fifties throughout the story. I think the author just has a younger "voice".
I think it will be interesting to see Hill's writing develop. I don't think he's quite found his voice all the way, but I look forward to reading more.
I read this one many years ago so it's hard to remember many details, but I remember that I liked it a lot. That's funny, because when I thought about it, it seems like the main character was younger.
ReplyDeleteYes please this sounds creepy good and you had me drooling when you mentioned the King..awesome review!
ReplyDelete