Saturday, August 11, 2012

Stacking the Shelves (4)



This meme is hosted (and was created by!) the lovely Tynga at Tynga's Reviews to share any new books we procure - from purchased books, review books, library books, gifted books, and ebooks! We're excited to be participating! :) 


Becky's Books:

*I got these from a half-price bookstore.  Total cost was $20.  It's a rare day that I actually buy books because I have champaign tastes (hardcover) on a beer budget.  It's also really hard for me to decide to buy a book I haven't already read.  How will I know if it's worth it?  These picks seemed like safe bets.


The Adoration of Jenna Fox, by Mary E. Pearson: This popped up in my Novelist recommendations over and over.

The Cider House Rules, by John Irving: I watched the movie version of this and cursed myself when I found out it was a book.
A Great and Terrible Beauty, by Libba Bray: I've read this before and loved it.  Bray's entry in the Zombies vs. Unicorns anthology reminded me how much I liked it.
Octavian Nothing, by M.T. Anderson: I've seen this all over goodreads and I LOVE the cover!




Randi's Books

Won:


Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley - won in a giveaway as part of the paperback blog tour! (big thank you to the lovely Joy at Book Lagniappe)
Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneallywon in the Lazy Days of Summer giveaway 
(big thanks to the lovely Jenn at Jenn Renee Read)

Bought:


Lengths by Steph Campbell & Liz Reinhardt
(thanks to Amanda at Letters Inside Out for the recommendation!)


Weekly Recap:

Sunday: Becky's author study of Rick Riordan
Summer Wrap-Up Read-a-Thon Update #1 & a challenge

Monday: Randi's review of Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver

Tuesday: Randi's Top Ten list of posts to get to know us!

Wednesday: Waiting on Wednesday

Thursday: Randi's What's Next post (The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney won!)
Twice Baked Thursday of Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

So what's new on YOUR shelves this week?
Link us up!

41 comments:

  1. I'm exactly like you. I'm always hesitant on buying a book I haven't read (and I like buying them in hardcover) so I borrow from the library and if I like them, then I'll buy. Unless it in bargain price, I'll probably wait to buy a book.
    I haven't heard of many of these but they do look interesting. I do have Catching Jordan on my TBR list and I'm thinking of starting that next. Happy reading and I hope the new books end up being really good!
    Check out my StS
    New follower =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spend FAR too much on books! xD But I keep telling my husband "but I NEED them, I'm building my classroom library!" Hehe. Let me know what you think of Catching Jordan! I'm hoping to get to it soon.

      Thanks for the follow, Jenn! Off to follow back. :)

      Delete
  2. A nice haul! I have just started Lengths & loved Catching Jordan.

    Happy reading!

    Sharon - www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon! I don't know why it took me so long to get interested in Catching Jordan, but now I can't wait to read it! :)

      Delete
  3. A Great and Terrible Beauty is such a fantastic book. I absolutely loved it. Still one of the most original YA books out there and it was published a while ago. Great haul this week. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually find that my favorite books are the ones I get from libraries. The ones I purchase without reading I tend to not love and have to find better homes for them. But I definitely loved the Gemma Doyle series! Happy reading!

    Thanks for visiting my haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same, haha. Ashfall, Words in the Dust, Graffiti Moon...all books I borrowed from the library & therefore need to get copies of! Thanks, Manda-Rae!

      Delete
  5. Great haul this week! I have heard great things about Catching Jordan...and I also have Lengths on my TBR list! I'll wait for your review to see if these need to be bumped up! LOL ;p Thanks for sharing! Hope you enjoy all your books! Ohhh and thank you for stopping by My StS post! 

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, hopefully I'll get to them soon! :D Thanks, Maida!

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed Adoration and hope you do too.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome haul! I've had the Adoration of Jenna Fox for a while now and I still haven't read it... maybe I should read it soon! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of these books but I'm hoping to start collecting Libba Bray's novels soon enough.
    Thanks for stopping by my post.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey i'm a new follower :).
    That's a great haul !
    I read A great and terrible beauty last summer but I was really disappointed :/.
    But I heard amazing things about Catching Jordan and I really want to buy a copy !
    I hope you'll enjoy reading these books. Happy reading !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit disappointed with A Great and Terrible Beauty as well, but Becky & I disagree a lot, so hopefully she'll like it more than I did. :) Thanks, Marie!

      Delete
  10. OMG A Great and Terrible Beauty is AMAZING! One of the best books I've ever read. I hope you enjoy it!

    Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Adoration of Jenna Fox... Hmmm, I should pick that one up! ;) Also, I almost picked up Catching Jordan this week. I know so many people who swear by that book. Sports books are not ALWAYS my thing, but I have read a number of hits lately. Perhaps this week will be the week!

    Thanks for stopping by my post this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna! I've shied away from Catching Jordan for so long because of the sports aspect, but I've read too many good reviews to NOT read it now. :)

      Delete
  12. Nice selection! Catching Jordan is a great read, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Luna! I've heard such good things about it, so I'm thinking I will like it! :)

      Delete
  13. Heard Catching Jordan is really good! I read A Great and Terrible Beauty SOOOO many years ago and I didn't seem to like it too much back then.. but heard so many great things so I'm tempted to give it a second chance... :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Michele | Stacking the Shelves | Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michele! I wasn't crazy about A Great and Terrible Beauty, but I'm hoping it's one of those Becky & I disagree on, haha. I can't wait to get to Catching Jordan - I've heard SO many good things! :D

      Delete
  14. Nice book haul! I read The Cider House Rules years ago. Such a great book. I loved Catching Jordan. Enjoy all the great books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! :) I'm seriously starting to feel like one of the only people who hasn't yet read Catching Jordan! But that shall change soon! :D

      Delete
  15. Catching Jordan is really good and Lengths sounds amazing! Great books :)


    My Stack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've read so many awesome reviews on Catching Jordan!

      Delete
  16. Great haul! I really liked Catching Jordan it was a really sweet contemporary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen! I think I should probably read it soon since almost all the comments on the post were about Catching Jordan. xD

      Delete
  17. I really really want to read Catching Jordan! I've been hearing so much awesomeness about it and Lengths! OH, I really want to get that one too. Sounds so so good. I hope you enjoy the books you got!

    Thanks for stopping by my STS!

    Jessirae @ Words, Pages, and Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Jessirae! I've heard way too many good things about Catching Jordan to put off reading it any longer! xD Happy reading!

      Delete
  18. Awesome books!! I'm jealous that you won Catching Jordan! That's on my wishlist! I can't wait to see your review. :) Hope you love it!

    Enjoy! And thanks for stopping by booknook. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! :D I'm hoping to get to Catching Jordan really, really soon!

      Delete
  19. Thanks, MaryAnn! :) Happy reading to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where Things Come Back! Where Things Come Back!!!

    Read it asap and hug it tightly!!! So much love, so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of reading it for my adolescent lit class; think it would lend itself well to talking about teaching it? :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...