Thursday, August 9, 2012

What's Next (4): Randi




What's Next is a weekly feature started by Hafsah at IceyBooks. Basically, we need your help deciding what to read next! So check out the books below & vote on what YOU think should be our next read!

Hey all! It's Randi. :) My review of your pick from last time, Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver, went up on Monday and can be read HERE, so check that out! This week I'm trying to choose between three YA books that have all been sitting on my shelf (or Nook) for too long! I'm planning to read them all at some point this month (I'm taking part in the Seasonal Reading Challenge on Goodreads - ask if you want details!), so this is to see which one's first.


The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney
Summary from Goodreads: 
Some schools have honor codes.


Others have handbooks.

Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way-the Themis way. So when Alex Patrick is date-raped during her junior year, she has two options: Stay silent and hope someone helps, or enlist the aid of the Mockingbirds-a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of the student body.


The Luxe by Anna Godbersen
Summary from Goodreads: Pretty girls in pretty dresses, partying until dawn.
Irresistible boys with sly smiles and dangerous intentions.
White lies, dark secrets, and scandalous hookups.
This is Manhattan, 1899.


Beautiful sisters Elizabeth and Diana Holland rule Manhattan's social scene. Or so it appears. When the girls discover their status among New York City's elite is far from secure, suddenly everyone - from the backstabbing socialite Penelope Hayes, to the debonair bachelor Henry Schoonmaker, to the spiteful maid Lina Broud - threatens Elizabeth's and Diana's golden future.

With the fate of the Hollands resting on her shoulders, Elizabeth must choose between family duty and true love. But when her carriage overturns near the East River, the girl whose glittering life lit up the city's gossip pages is swallowed by the rough current. As all of New York grieves, some begin to wonder whether life at the top proved too much for this ethereal beauty, or if, perhaps, someone wanted to see Manhattan's most celebrated daughter disappear....


In a world of luxury and deception, where appearance matters above everything and breaking the social code means running the risk of being ostracized forever, five teenagers lead dangerously scandalous lives. This thrilling trip to the age of innocence is anything but innocent. 


Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson
Summary from GoodreadsTaylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.

So which of these do YOU think I should read next?
Leave your vote in the comments!

14 comments:

  1. Second Chance Summer was amazing, so I vote for that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for The Mockingbirds, I almost just bought that book so I would love to read a current review for it. Vote on mine: http://writtenbybrittan.blogspot.com/2012/08/whats-next-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vote goes to Second Chance Summer, I have read Luxe, I am not a huge historical fiction fan and it just didn't do anything for me.

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  4. Second Chance Summer - I haven't read it, and although I've heard it's different from Amy & Roger's Epic Detour (which I loved), it's still great, so I vote for Second Chance Summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luxe, It is suppose to be really good. :)

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever
    http://booksliveforever.com/?p=3162

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say Mockingbirds, just because I haven't really heard of the other ones and that one is on my TBR list.
    My What’s Next
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to go with Mockingbirds. It sounds good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to read the Luxe. So I would pick that one. It looks soooo good! Thanks for stopping by my what's next!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My vote is for the Mockingbirds. There is something about boarding schools that fascinates me.

      Delete
  9. I really want to read Second Chance Summer but I'll wait until I can grab it from the library. I'm a little afraid of it anyway, but I'm seeing great things about it. That's my pick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd be really interested in The Mockingbirds. I have heard nothing but good things about it and the story sounds truly unique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for voting everyone! The Mockingbirds won by ONE vote! So my review for that will be posted in two weeks. :) Hopefully I'll be able to get to The Luxe and Second Chance Summer soon as well, and I'll post reviews when I do! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...