Sunday, January 13, 2013

Review (Becky):Beastly


Title: Beastly
Author: Alex Flinn
Pages: 304
Audience: YA 
Genre: Fantasy (fairytale adaptation/contemporary)
Rating: 2-I'd give this book an awkward hug


Goodreads Summary
I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright--a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever--ruined--unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.


My Thoughts
I couldn't finish this. It bored me out of my mind and brought nothing new to the tale, which is a requisite for any adaptation in my opinion. I saw the movie and thought to myself, "they must have butchered this book"...but no, I think the movie is better.  This book will probably appeal to teens or those looking for a quick, "lite", candy book with no real substance or style.  Sorry to be so harsh but I really didn't care for it.  There are many better adaptations of Beauty and the Beast (thank goodness) but this one does have a very modern frame and is told from the Beast's view.  Those were its only distinguishing characteristics.   


Becky's Sig

FTC Disclaimer

All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

2 comments:

  1. I've almost picked this book up a couple of times, but maybe I'll skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! Too bad it didn't work for you... after seeing the movie trailers (but not the movie—I hate watching movies before their books!) I'd been wanting to read this one. Maybe I should go straight to the movie, though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...