Title: People of the Book
Author: Geraldine Brooks
Pages: 372
Audience: Adult
Source: Library (Becky); Bought (Randi)
Rating: 4- I'd help this book find its history (Becky)
4 I'd hide this book away to ensure its safety (Randi)
Goodreads Summary:
In 1996, Hanna Heath, an Australian rare-book expert, is offered the job of a lifetime: analysis and conservation of the famed Sarajevo Haggadah, which has been rescued from Serb shelling during the Bosnian war. Priceless and beautiful, the book is one of the earliest Jewish volumes ever to be illuminated with images. When Hanna, a caustic loner with a passion for her work, discovers a series of tiny artifacts in its ancient binding - an insect wing fragment, wine stains, salt crystals, a white hair - she begins to unlock the book's mysteries. The reader is ushered into an exquisitely detailed and atmospheric past, tracing the book's journey from its salvation back to its creation.
In Bosnia during World War II, a Muslim risks his life to protect it from the Nazis. In the hedonistic salons of fin-de-siècle Vienna, the book becomes a pawn in the struggle against the city's rising anti-Semitism. In inquisition-era Venice, a Catholic priest saves it from burning. In Barcelona in 1492, the scribe who wrote the text sees his family destroyed by the agonies of enforced exile. And in Seville in 1480, the reason for the Haggadah's extraordinary illuminations is finally disclosed. Hanna's investigation unexpectedly plunges her into the intrigues of fine art forgers and ultra-nationalist fanatics. Her experiences will test her belief in herself and the man she has come to love.
Our Thoughts
Becky in black. Randi in Blue
This was in many ways, a beautiful, powerful book. Yes, yes, yes. It just missed being perfect (in my eyes). I think the reason it didn't get 5 stars from me is partially because it took me so long to read (not the book's fault, just my own personal stuff going on that made it difficult to sit and read). I really loved the detail of how Hanna preserves and partially restores rare books, and I also loved the way that each segment of her work where she made a new discovery was juxtaposed with a segment of the book's true story. Yes! It took me a little while to catch on to what was going on with the shifting points of view and time periods, but it totally worked for me and made the book that much more compelling.
All of the characters were complex and well-drawn, with the exception of Hanna's mother. She seemed like a flat portrayal of a female doctor and career woman who "gave up" on her family. Her dialog/actions lacked believability for me and felt like they fell out of a soap opera. Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the mom. I really liked Hanna's character, though, as well as many of the characters in the historical flashbacks. Another issue I had was the shifting point of view forms. I found it distracting to switch from first to third. Apparently I didn't notice that! ;) Probably because I took forever reading this book!
The historical detail and thriller/mystery element made this a good read alike for The Da Vinci Code . (I still need to read that!) While I think the puzzle and scandal makes this book compelling, for me it felt forced, and it detracted from the stories of the characters and the literary quality of the writing. That was the best part!! Ahh, and our differences come to light again, Becky, my dear. ;) A lot of this story my have gone over my head since I have no connection to any of the prominent cultures or religions portrayed/discussed, nor much historical knowledge of the time periods. That being said, I enjoyed learning more about them. I think that's likely to be the case for many readers, though, about not having a lot of background knowledge on specific events and cultures, particularly because there is such a broad range of events/tensions and cultures referenced. But I think the book does a good job of acclimating the reader to the various time periods and providing necessary information without "info dumping." I'll definitely be reading more from Geraldine Brooks!
(Sidenote: Geraldine Brooks' book March is excellent if you're looking for some literary fiction. It's sort of a retelling of Louisa May Alcott's Little Women but through the eyes of Mr. March during the Civil War. It's awesome!)
(Sidenote: Geraldine Brooks' book March is excellent if you're looking for some literary fiction. It's sort of a retelling of Louisa May Alcott's Little Women but through the eyes of Mr. March during the Civil War. It's awesome!)
No comments:
Post a Comment