Friday, January 18, 2013

Review (Becky): Dark Lover


Title: Dark Lover
Author: J.R. Ward
Pages: 393
Audience: Adult
Genre: Romance (paranormal/urban/erotica)
Rating: 1-I'd throw this book out of a moving car and laugh


Goodreads Summary
In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.

The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.


My Thoughts

I can see the appeal of this girtty paranormal urban fantasy I suppose, but it does not appeal to me. This was the most ridiculous book, hands down, that I have ever read. Ever. If you like romances where the men are all bad boys with traumatic pasts and grizzled model-like looks but are actually just in need of a good woman to open them up to their emotions....then you might like this. The males in this were so far from any realism that I couldn't help but picture them as women in men's bodies. That seems to be a trend in romance novels. The vampires aren't really vampires, more like some alien species that worships an alien goddess and just wants to live harmoniously alongside the wicked humans and the actually evil demons. Tragically they have no choice but to act really macho and wear a bunch of leather, cut each other with ceremonial blades and engage in some moving bromance. The actual writing was badly done, but I suppose that the focus for this type of novel is not really wordcraft lol. I will not be reading the rest of the series.  


Becky's Sig

FTC Disclaimer

All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

2 comments:

  1. Agree with you here. I couldn't finish this book, and am so surprised how many people love these books. I felt like they were written by a child (a sexy child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL the glamorized "vampire" alpha male... gets on my nerves too! Sorry you didn't enjoy this one, but I don't blame you. Unrealistic characters and crappy writing are both a no-no for me as well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...