Title: The Girl With Glass Feet
Author: Ali Shaw
Pages: 292
Audience: Adult
Source: library(Becky); library (Randi)
Rating: 5 I'd marry this book
2.5 I'd give this book an awkward hug, taking care not to break off any unexplained glass appendages
2.5 I'd give this book an awkward hug, taking care not to break off any unexplained glass appendages
Goodreads Summary:
Strange things are happening on the remote and snowbound archipelago of St. Hauda’s Land. Magical winged creatures flit around the icy bogland, albino animals hide themselves in the snow-glazed woods, and Ida Maclaird is slowly turning into glass. Ida is an outsider in these parts who has only visited the islands once before. Yet during that one fateful visit the glass transformation began to take hold, and now she has returned in search of a cure. anything
Our Thoughts
Becky in black. Randi in Blue
I loved the awkward, morose character of Midas and the frail, yet spirited Ida. I liked both of their characters individually, but the romance felt too instalove-y. I realize she was running out of time, but I felt like it could have been written a little more convincingly. I do wish we would have seen more of Ida's background. I second that. We get so much of Midas' childhood and next to nothing about Ida's (except in relation to that creepy "friend" of her mother's). The secondary characters were interesting and unique, although I think they could have been even more fleshed out. Denver never felt realistic to me. I don't think Shaw captured her voice in a way convincing for her age. True, she was supposed to be seven! I loved her dad, Gustav, though. And he was a ginger. :) Such a sweet guy and they both really seemed to care for Midas despite his "issues" in relating to other people. The language was poetic and was clearly agonized over, although it felt a little stiff at times. The atmosphere was brilliant. There was a beautiful, lonely feeling to the world/writing that I adored. The beauty of the writing was the one aspect that saved this book for me. Though the density didn't help my overall boredom with the book. I think if I had connected more to the world (if there had been explanation) or the characters, this would have rated higher for me.
This story was crushingly sad, thoughtfully written, and subtly horrific. Or, you know, BORING. ;) At times it felt gothic, with a magical realism that seemed genuinely possible at times, though I'm so glad it isn't. They didn't explain ANYTHING. So annoying. I need answers! The idea of turning slowly to glass is terrifying. Yes, yes it is! I wanted to know why the island had this curse. And how did it choose victims? Etc. I also liked the idea of the beast that turns everything it looks at snow-white, although the symbolism I assume went with that creature is still a mystery to me. Yep. Pretty much the story for me: "Oh, look at this cool idea. Yeah, just look at it and think about what it could have been if I, the author, had bothered to give it some depth." I'm guessing it had to do with Midas' habit of cherishing images over reality. I do wish we got some sort of explanation for the magical elements. Yep. That's pretty much why I wasn't a big fan of this book.
Ida sounds great. I haven't heard much about this one.
ReplyDeleteHappy reading,
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog