Friday, December 7, 2012

Review (Becky): Briar Rose


Title: Briar Rose
Author: Jane Yolen
Pages: 239
Audience: Young Adult (adult crossover appeal)
Genre: Historical Fiction (Holocaust)
Rating: 3 stars- I'd friend this book on Facebook



Goodreads Summary

Ever since she was a child, Rebecca has been enchanted by her grandmother Gemma's stories about Briar Rose. But a promise Rebecca makes to her dying grandmother will lead her on a remarkable journey to uncover the truth of Gemma's astonishing claim: I am Briar Rose. A journey that will lead her to unspeakable brutality and horror. But also to redemption and hope.


My Thoughts
This was a very sad fictionalized story of the holocaust couched in the fairy-tale of sleeping Beauty. I never enjoy reading war stories, but I can see the value in them. This didn't strike me as a teen story in any way, so I'm surprised it is labeled like that in many libraries. The main character is 23, the subject matter is very dark and violent. I think maybe the short length may be a factor. I didn't really connect to any of the characters, they all felt like they were held at arm's length. I'd suggest this to those who read and appreciated The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas or The Book Thief.

Becky's Sig

FTC Disclaimer

All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...