Friday, December 21, 2012

Review (Becky): The Dark Inside


Title: The Dark Inside
Author: Jeyn Roberts
Pages: 329
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction (apocalyptic)
Rating: 3 I'd follow this book on Facebook
Goodreads Summary
Since the beginning of mankind, civilizations have fallen: the Romans, the Greeks, the Aztecs...and now us. Huge earthquakes rock the world. Cities are destroyed. But something even more awful is happening: An ancient evil has been unleashed, and it's turning everyday people into hunters, killers, and crazies. This is the world Mason, Aries, Clementine, and Michael are living in--or rather, trying to survive. Each is fleeing unspeakable horror, from murderous chaos to brutal natural disasters, and each is traveling the same road in a world gone mad. Amid the throes of the apocalypse and clinging to love and meaning wherever it can be found, these four teens are on a journey into the heart of darkness--and to find each other and a place of safety.


My Thoughts
This was a perfectly readable book, but I was never hooked. The characters all seemed to have the same "voice" and with four to follow I felt like I'd only just figured out who the chapter was about when it was time to change again. I couldn't figure out what made any of these people special enough to A-survive and B-be the ones the book focused on. I was vaguely interested in Mason because of his possibility of darkness which was never explored. The concept of this book felt like a fairly shallow treatment of what could have been a meaningful idea.  We never get to the heart of what makes anyone go "bad" or stay "good", and that makes it difficult to take anything away from the story. I won't be reading the sequel. 

Becky's Sig

FTC Disclaimer

All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...