Sunday, December 16, 2012

Review (Becky): The Sledding Hill


Title: The Sledding Hill
Author: Chris Crutcher
Pages: 256
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy (afterlife)
Rating: 3 I'd read this book's wall posts on Facebook, but I'd be disappointed in them.




Goodreads Summary
First his father dies. Then his best friend Billy accidentally kicks a stack of Sheetrock over on himself, breaking his neck and effectively hitting tilt on his Earthgame. Eddie and Billy were inseparable. Still are. Billy isn't going to let a little thing like death stop him from hanging in there with his friend. And when Eddie faces an epic struggle with the powers that be, Billy will remain right there beside him.

Eli's father built the Compound to keep them safe. But are they safe—or sorry?


My Thoughts
Oh this book. For about 100 pages I feared it would end up being a "Christian Tale", meaning overtly pushing the Christian agenda. while Crutcher's book does have an underlying spirituality, but it is a far cry from the extremely conservative view I so fear. While I liked the topic of this book, the morals, and the characters...I found it boring, melodramatic, and overly simplistic. I can, however, see why it has a lot of appeal to certain readers. If you are of the liberal persuasion, this book is very self-affirming. For me, though, it didn't really look at both sides with any kind of balance. It smacked of bias, and even though I agree with the ideas it was biased towards, I'm not really into that. I think this could easily have been told without the use of ghost-Billy as a narrator. I often forgot he was there anyway. I also found Crutcher's use of himself in the story annoying and self-congratulatory. On the plus side, the story tackles issues such as glbt rights, the dangers of censure, dealing with death, ADHD, and Christianity. I can't help but feel it might have been stronger if it focused on fewer of those issues in more depth, though. 

Becky's Sig

FTC Disclaimer

All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...