Friday, December 14, 2012

Review (Becky): The Compound


Title: The Compound
Author: S.A. Bodeen
Pages: 248
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction (survival)
Rating: 4 I'd bring this book a crap-ton of food




Goodreads Summary
Eli and his family have lived in the underground Compound for six years. The world they knew is gone, and they've become accustomed to their new life. Accustomed, but not happy.

For Eli, no amount of luxury can stifle the dull routine of living in the same place, with only his two sisters, his father and mother, doing the same thing day after day after day.

As problems with their carefully planned existence threaten to destroy their sanctuary—and their sanity—Eli can't help but wonder if he'd rather take his chances outside.

Eli's father built the Compound to keep them safe. But are they safe—or sorry?


My Thoughts
This was a horrific, compelling story. I really liked the complexity of Eli and his guilt. Bodeen manages to pack a well-developed story into 250 pages, which is no easy feat. There are some logic problems if you try to dissect it too far, but I was able to suspend my disbelief.  There are times I find it difficult to understand the mother or believe her reactions, but I guess I can't really know what I'd do unless I was locked underground for 7 years.  Regardless, I loved the tension running through the whole story. The characters felt very real and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

Becky's Sig

FTC Disclaimer

All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book very much. I had the audio and it was riveting in parts. I couldn't put it down for sure. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...