Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (2): Becky & Randi


Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday was started by Jill at Breaking the Spine for book bloggers to highlight the books we are anxiously awaiting!
Today, Becky is waiting on:  

Hysteria 
by Megan Miranda
Publication Date: February 5th, 2013

Summary from Goodreads
: Mallory's life is falling apart.
 Her boyfriend was stabbed. He bled to death in her kitchen. 
Mallory was the one who stabbed him. But she can't remember what happened that night. She only remembers the fear . . . 

When Mallory's parents send her away to a boarding school, she thinks she can escape the gossip and the threats. But someone, or something, has followed her. There's the hand that touches her shoulder when she's drifting off to sleep. A voice whispering her name. And everyone knows what happened. So when a pupil is found dead, Mallory's name is on their lips. Her past can be forgotten but it's never gone. Can Mallory live with that?

Why I'm waiting anxiously: If you're like me, then it's a rare series that holds your attention for more than one or two books.  That's why I looked for stand alone novels and debut authors.  I'm not usually into reading contemporary teen books, but this one looks freaky as heck.  



Today, Randi is waiting on:  


The Other Normals
by Ned Vizzini
Publication Date: September 25th, 2012


Summary from GoodreadsGiven the chance, fifteen-year-old Peregrine “Perry” Eckert would dedicate every waking moment to Creatures & Caverns, an epic role-playing game rich with magical creatures, spell casting, and deadly weapons. The world of C&C is where he feels most comfortable in his own skin, so when his parents ship him off to summer camp Perry is sure he’s in for the worst summer of his life.


Everything changes, however, when Perry gets to camp and stumbles into the World of the Other Normals. Perry’s new otherworldly friends need his help to save their princess and prevent mass violence. As they embark on their quest together, Perry realizes that his nerdy childhood has uniquely prepared him to be a great warrior in this world, and maybe even a hero.


Bestselling author Ned Vizzini delivers a compulsively readable and wildly original story about the winding and often hilarious path to manhood.

Why I'm waiting anxiously: Okay, so I'm a huge nerd. I love World of Warcraft, I've been known to get really competitive when it comes to Settlers of Catan or Cranium. (My husband won't let me forget about the time I flung a gameboard because he was trying to cheat. Well, I maintain that he was cheating, though he denies it.) I'm also a fantasy lover. And I love the whole summer-camp setting! Also, as a future teacher and therefore book-recommend-er, I really need to read more books that appeal to boys. As a girl, I'm totally attracted to "girl books"! That's not to say I don't like "boy books," but the "girl books" always tend to push the boys out of the way and demand READ ME!

What are YOU waiting on this week?

37 comments:

  1. Hysteria's definitely in my TBR pile :)

    Here is mine: Waiting On Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these are great choices! I need to double check but I believe I have them on my TBR already but if not they are both going on.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hysteria is new to me, but sounds really good and The Other Normals is definitely on my TBR list!

    Our WoW is at Book Sake. –Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first book sounds super creepy! A hand touching her as she drifts off to sleep?!?! Holy crap! I don't know of i can read that one! The second one sounds really interesting though...maybe Percy Jacksonlike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, horror is not for everyone but thanks for the post!

      Delete
    2. I would definitely not complain if it's similar to Percy Jackson. :)

      Delete
  5. Hysteria is a GREAT pick! I love the cover and the fantasically creepy synopsis. This one is definitely on my Wish List :-)

    I've not heard of The Other Normals, and it's not really MY type of read, but I know my two nephews will _love_ it.

    Thanks for sharing! :-) Thanks, also, for stopping by BlookGirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for sharing books with family members! Priceless moment: when my nephew (three at the time) buried himself in his picture books and begged "Aunt Bunny" (aka Randi) to read to him. ;)

      Delete
  6. i really liked megan miranda's debut fracture and i'm really excited for hysteria.

    our WoW.

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hysteria looks amazing. It's not often I come across a creepy, thriller type story in YA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horror is sadly underrepresented in YA fiction, probably because adults don't think teens should read it.

      Delete
  8. I am in love with the cover of Hysteria!! It sounds good too ~ adding it to my TBR. Thanks for stopping by my WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hysteria sounds great and The Other Normals also looks pretty awesome :) Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look of Hysteria, I read fracture by Megan Miranda and thought it was great so I'll definitely be reading that one!

    Thanks for checking out my WoW post!
    Sam @ Falling Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got both of your picks on my TBR radar! They look so interesting! Great WoW!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just read and enjoyed Fracture, so I can't wait to read Hysteria. The premise sounds really good.

    Thanks for visiting my WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Randi, I sent you an email at the Cardigans email address. You were the first winner of the big read-a-thon giveaway. Can you check your email for a message from truebookaddictATgmailDOTcom? You may want to check your spam folder.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, those are both seriously awesome choices. You've got great taste! The first cover is especially creepy and awesome.

    Thanks a bunch for dropping by, darling! <33

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hysteria sounds really good and I like the cover.
    Thanks for visiting My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hysteria looks creepy but good.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. All I had to see was Megan Miranda and I went to put her new book on my TBR...:D The Other Normals looks so creative and original. I'll have to look out for that one too. Thanks for stopping by my WOW today :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm already creeped out by just reading the synopsis of the first book i'll be most def adding it to my must reads.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't heard of either book but they sound interesting!! I will have to check them out on goodreads :D

    Thanks for stopping by my WOW :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved Miranda's first novel so I am definitely looking forward to Hysteria. It looks so creepy and good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great picks, ladies! The former in particular looks very interesting and haunting. *shivers* I LOVE creepy novels ha. :) Plus, the cover is lovely! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. For some reason I have overlooked Hysteria and must add to my Goodreads right now! Great picks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both books look REALLY good!!! Especially Hysteria (too bad it doesn't come out till 2013 *sigh*)

    And thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Other Normals is out! And I added your pick to my website: http://nedvizzini.com/cal_and_press/

    Thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...