Friday, July 27, 2012

Review: The Candymakers

Title: The Candymakers
Author: Wendy Mass
Publication Date: January 1st, 2010
Publisher: Little, Brown Books
Genre: Middle Grade (tween) mystery
Pages: 453
Source: bought
Rating: 2 1/2. I'd give this book an awkward hug

Summary from Goodreads: In the town of Spring Haven, four children have been selected to compete in the national candymaking contest of a lifetime. Who will make a candy more delicious than the Oozing Crunchorama or the Neon Yellow Lightning Chew?

Logan, the candymaker's son, who can detect the color of chocolate by feel alone?

Miles, the boy allergic to rowboats and the color pink?

Daisy, the cheerful girl who can lift a fifty-pound lump of taffy as if it were a feather?

Philip, the suit-and-tie-wearing boy who's always scribbling in a secret notebook?

This sweet, charming, and cleverly crafted story, told from each contestant's perspective, is filled with mystery, friendship, and juicy revelations.

My thoughts: I thought I would love this book, but I only liked it. The premise sounded wonderful and I enjoy a good middle grades read, but this fell below my expectations. I loved all the parts about candy and the factory (which, to be honest, was a large chunk of the book), but somewhere along the line it just fell a little flat for me; everything came together too neatly. It’s definitely a book I would recommend to middle grade readers. But for me, it was too middle grade level (and maybe that's me judging too harshly because it is a middle grade book); I don’t really see it as having much crossover appeal because the storyline was just too simplistic. The characters were well-drawn, but, again, all of the conflict resolved too easily which was a bit of a letdown after spending 450 pages with this book.

Which brings up another point: to me, this seemed quite long for a middle grade read. It’s told from multiple points of view (four – Logan, Miles, Philip, and Daisy), and this makes sense for the story, but it also really stretched the story out. Though Mass does a great job of not repeating herself over and over each time the POV switches, even though we get a replay the same time period, I feel that this was far too long to hold my attention; I kept waiting to get to the end, counting how many pages I had left (sometimes that’s a good thing because it means I’m getting sad for the story to end, but this one just didn’t hold my interest).

The details were what made the story for me, particularly Daisy’s POV and the candy factory in general. I really, really want to live in this factory. Maybe Logan’s family would adopt me. J The characters were likable for the most part, but I didn’t feel any real connections to any of them, though I see how a younger reader could draw parallels with any of the children – Daisy with absent parents, Philip without a mother and a demanding father, Miles with his past trauma, and Logan with his issue (don’t want to spoil anything!).

Overall, The best part was definitely the competition at the end and finally finding out about the secret ingredient (though not entirely predictable, quite cheesy), the two things that really kept me reading. Mass definitely has a great imagination and I would love to taste all of those candies. Recommended for readers at a middle grade reading level who can handle a long book.

FTC Disclaimer

All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.



Randi Review Sig

8 comments:

  1. My reaction after reading the premise was that this book sounded adorable! However, I can also see how this book would be too juvenile and immature for you, instead of being a brain candy type read. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leanne! Despite being a little disappointed with this book, it's one of those where I can definitely see its appeal & target audience, so I'm glad I read it nonetheless! :)

      Delete
  2. This one looks really cute. Sorry you didn't like it as much as you wanted to, though. It is bothersome if a plot is too simplistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kapri! Despite not loving it, I'm glad I read it. Especially being a pre-service teacher, I think middle school students would really enjoy this, so it was helpful to me even if it wasn't my cup of tea. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review, Randi!
    I saw this book at the bookstore earlier, and the cover just gripped me. So I read a few pages at the library--expecting it to be like another Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (which I love to pieces)--but I was bored with those few pages and knowing that the book is GIGANTIC...I gave up. I totally agree with the whole "too middle grade" thing! As much as I thought the concept was cute, it just felt too simplisitc for me.

    Lilian @ A Novel Toybox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lilian! As much money as I spend on books, I really ought to read an excerpt before buying just to make sure I'll like it!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review. It sounds like a cute read but the length and the simplistic nature of the story makes it sounds like something i would probably be best passing on. Bummer!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mag! I'm thinking younger kids will definitely like it, I've just gotten spoiled with all the middle grade books I've read that have really great YA and adult crossover potential. Oh well, on to the next one! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...