Thursday, July 19, 2012

What's Next (1.5): Becky







What's Next is a weekly feature started by Hafsah at IceyBooks. Basically, we need your help deciding what to read next! So check out the books below & vote on what YOU think should be our next read!

Option One: Fugitives
by Alexander Gordon Smith

Fugitives is the fourth book (out of five) in the Furnace series.  I've read the others and really enjoyed them.  The basic idea is there is a prison called Furnace where all the young male felons are sent instead of regular prison.  Most of the world thinks it's like any other prison, but inmates know the truth.  It is an underground labyrinth of horrors where the only options are life imprisonment, torture and death.

The summary, as seen on goodreads : "I am no longer trapped in the darkness. But the darkness is still trapped inside me. We did it. We cracked the gates, escaped from Furnace. We're out, but we're not free. Not yet. Now the whole city is in lockdown — the roads sealed, the police scouring every building. And there are worse things here — creatures of unimaginable fury hunting us down. An unholy army, sent by Alfred Furnace himself. 

Now a war is raging as he tries to bring the world to its knees. I can still feel the warden's poison inside me. It's the only thing keeping me alive, but it's turning me into one of them, into a monster. I don't know how much longer I can fight it before the rage takes over. If I don't find a cure soon then it will be me out there tearing this city apart, me feasting on blood. If I ever want to be truly free then I have to travel into the heart of the darkness. I have to find Alfred Furnace before he finds me. We made it out but the nightmare followed us, and soon the whole world will be our prison..


Option Two: The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To
by D.C. Pierson

The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had ToA wildly original and hilarious debut novel about the typical high school experience: the homework, the awkwardness, and the mutant creatures from another galaxy.

When Darren Bennett meets Eric Lederer, there's an instant connection. They share a love of drawing, the bottom rung on the cruel high school social ladder and a pathological fear of girls.  Then Eric reveals a secret: He doesn’t sleep. Ever.  When word leaks out about Eric's condition, he and Darren find themselves on the run. Is it the government trying to tap into Eric’s mind, or something far darker?  It could be that not sleeping is only part of what Eric's capable of, and the truth is both better and worse than they could ever imagine
                                  Option Three: The Magicians
by Lev Grossman
Quentin Coldwater is brillant but miserable. He's a senior in high school, and a certifiable genius, but he's still secretly obsessed with a series of fantasy novels he read as a kid, about the adventures of five children in a magical land called Fillory. Compared to that, anything in his real life just seems gray and colorless. 

Everything changes when Quentin finds himself unexpectedly admitted to a very secret, very exclusive college of magic in upstate New York, where he receives a thorough and rigorous education in the practice of modern sorcery. He also discovers all the other things people learn in college: friendship, love, sex, booze, and boredom. But something is still missing. Magic doesn't bring Quentin the happiness and adventure he though it would.

                                               Then, after graduation, he and his friends make a stunning discovery: Fillory is real.

Option Four: The Lock Artist
by Steve Hamilton

 
"I was the Miracle Boy, once upon a time. Later on, the Milford Mute. The Golden Boy. The Young Ghost. The Kid. The Boxman. The Lock Artist. That was all me.
But you can call me Mike."

Marked by tragedy, traumatized at the age of eight, Michael, now eighteen, is no ordinary young man. Besides not uttering a single word in ten years, he discovers the one thing he can somehow do better than anyone else. Whether it's a locked door without a key, a padlock with no combination, or even an eight-hundred pound safe ... he can open them all.
It's an unforgivable talent. A talent that will make young Michael a hot commodity with the wrong people and, whether he likes it or not, push him ever close to a life of crime. Until he finally sees his chance to escape, and with one desperate gamble risks everything to come back home to the only person he ever loved, and to unlock the secret that has kept him silent for so long.
Steve Hamilton steps away from his Edgar Award-winning Alex McKnight series to introduce a unique new character, unlike anyone you've ever seen in the world of crime fiction.
The Lock Artist is the winner of the 2011 Edgar Award for Best Novel.



So There you have it!  `Which should I read?


Becky's Sig

14 comments:

  1. Fugitives :) I actually still haven't tried the series, but everyone says it's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it really is, especially if you like horror and a fast pace. Sometimes the language gets repetitive, but I would definitely recommend it. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Dang I am stuck between Magicians (which i really want to read) and Fugitives (which looks intriguing.)
    My What’s Next
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The background on your blog is amazing, Liz! I think those are my top choice right now too.

      Delete
  3. The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh they all look so amazing. What's girl to do? Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  4. Oh, boo! I'm the only one that's voted for The Lock Artist. :( Hahaha. It was between that & The Magicians for my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My vote goes to The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To, I love the cover definitely wanna check that one out!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I love the cover too! I'm terrible about picking only attractive books, lol. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  6. I have a copy of The Magicians and I really want to raed that, but I voted for The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To but I saw it at the bookstore a long time ago and always wanted to read it.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Hopefully I don't get a tie, lol.

      Delete
  7. Fugitives! I haven't read the series but it is on my wishlist!
    Thanks for participating ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I chose The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep! I really want to read that one and I think it has a fantastic cover. I read The Magicians and it was interesting but I don't know if I actually LIKED it, if that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...