Author Study: Oliver Jeffers
Author Biography:
Oliver Jeffers is originally from Belfast Northern Ireland and now lives and works in Brooklyn, New York. He also works as an artist and several of his books have been made into short children's films.
Personal Note: Oliver Jeffers is my favorite author/illustrator of picture books hands down. His stories are both deeply thoughtful and a good time. You can read almost any of them for story-time and the kids LOVE them.
Awards:
- Shortlisted four times for the kate Greenway Medal
- Winner of the Irish Book Awards for "The Incredible Book-Eating Boy"
- Shortlisted twice for the Irish Book Awards
- full list of awards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Jeffers#Awards
Illustration Style: Jeffers has a distinctive illustration style. His early books are done entirely in watercolor with sweeping washes of color for the background and limited figures/objects in the foreground. His style is cartoonish,but quirky. He uses simple shapes and pencil-line legs for most of his characters. His later books are done in acrylic on found backgrounds, with collage and some digital illustration. He also employs mixed media and cover/page manipulation in his.
Writing Style:
Jeffers both writes and illustrates most of his own picture books. He uses layered stories; simple on the surface but with hard-hitting symbolism and nostalgic, familiar themes. For this reason, both children and adults can enjoy his stories equally. he often uses the same or similar main characters, known only as "the boy".
Hi! I'm Angeline and I've tagged your blog for the Liebster Blog Award. Visit my blog @http://hidateen.blogspot.com/2012/07/liebster-blog-award.html to see the rules before accepting this award. I love the art on this book covers. I've read The Hueys: The New Sweater to my brother. He loves it a lot (he's five).
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the tag! I don't think our blog will be participating in the awards, but it was kind of you. I bet your brother would love "The Amazing Book Eating Boy" too!
ReplyDeleteLove Oliver Jeffers! Definitely one of my fave picture book authors. Lost and Found is my favorite.
ReplyDeleteMy son loves The Amazing Book Eating Boy, I just reserved a copy of a few more of Jeffers' books at my library!
ReplyDelete