Top Ten Tuesday (3):Characters I'd Like to Switch Place With For 24 Hours
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week our list (brought to you by Becky!) is about the Top Ten Characters I’d Like To Switch Places With For 24 Hours.
This was a tough one for me, because I like to read horror stories and dark drama. See my problem? I'll probably also pick a lot of male characters because I tend to relate more to them than most YA female characters.
1. Sean Kendrick from Maggie Stiefvater's The Scorpio Races. Sean rides one of the wild, water horses that come in from the sea every year. They have a taste for blood, so the races are intense. What? Why do I want to ride a homicidal horse? Because, you silly fool, this book makes it sound like I'd be mastering my own death and at one with the darkness of the universe and the beauty of nature. In addition, Sean is the most badass of all the riders and has a special bond with his horse.

2. Alanna from Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness. I was obsessed with this series when I was younger. Not only is Alanna one of the best fighters and mages around, she earns the title the hard way...as well as the respect and admiration of many attractive
males.
3. Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Yes, he does get bullied physically and emotionally, but Ender is a genius. Who among us doesn't secretly wish they were smarter than everyone else in the world? I also really wanted to play the laser-tag like game they trained
with.


4. Jenny from L.J. Smith's The Forbidden Game. Jenny herself is pretty boring, but she gets obsessively stalked by super hot demon, Julian. That's right, he was doing it before it was cool (Twilight/Trueblood). Admittedly, I would get tired of this day in and day out, but for 24 hours, it could be fun! I'd just try to skip the part where everyone is sucked into a magical game-board and is forced to face their worst nightmare.

5. Vianne from Joanne Harris' Chocolate. If this one isn't obvious, you might not be human. CHOCOLATE, people. I've always thought it would be fun to make food (and make it well) for a living, preferably in a quirky shop, and preferably something with chocolate. I also love the rich magical realism of the world she inhabits, imperfect though it is.
6. Brian from Gary Paulson's Hatchet. Ok, so maybe being in a plane crash and ending up stranded alone in the wilderness would be bad. I have always been obsessed with the survival aspect of this story, and all of the amazing skills Brian learns. If I had the option of zapping back home, I think it would be cool to see if I could survive.
7. Vivian from Annette Curtis Klause's Blood and Chocolate. I love the imagining of werewolves in this story. It is one of the closest depictions of them actually being part wolf. I think I'd take a day in her shoes, preferably on the night of the full moon, and hunt me some rabbits.
8. Harvey from Clive Barker's The Thief of Always. I love the idea of the Holiday House (minus the creepy evil demon). Every day has the bets of all four seasons and both Halloween and Christmas come every day! I'd just leave before things started getting creepy.
9. Atrus from Myst. I'd love to be able to actually create a new world by writing in a book and then go visit it. I can't really imagine anything more cool. It's like what authors do times a billion.
10. Tally from Scott Westerfeld's Uglies. I think it would be really fun to make myself look however I wanted for a short period of time. I'd just want to be able to change back eventually. Well, I'd change most things back, anyway. lol.
Poor Jenny, she has the perfect boyfriend forever and then a demon comes along and tries to ruin it. :D Oddly, I think the time the friends are sucked into the board game house would be the 24 hours I'd *want* to be in. But maybe I'm weird like that.
ReplyDeleteYeah, maybe if it was my best dream instead haha. Ick, I did not like Tom. Julian was way better.
DeleteOoh, I love Blood and Chocolate! If you like that one, you might also like the werewolves of Kelley Armstrong's Bitten (and the rest of the series).
ReplyDeleteThanks for the suggestion! I'm always on the lookout for good werewolf books.
DeleteOh no! I can't believe I've only read the Uglies books from your list, but I agree that I love Tally and actually thought about her for a second for my own list! Actually, Scott Westerfeld and this series is responsible for my love for YA (along with Darren Shan) - these two writers were the first YA I ever read. I own a few of these books but I can't believe I haven't read them yet!
ReplyDeleteI'd really recommend the Scorpio Races, especially since you liked Westerfeld! Thanks for the comment!
DeleteI actually haven't read any of these books so thanks for sharing! And thanks for stopping by my blog!
ReplyDeleteI didn't even think of adding Tally to my list! I absolutely love the Uglies series. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!
Okay...I can totally sympathize with the Brian from Hatchet one you threw in here. I still have the survival guide I made my parents get me after reading that book....lol :)
ReplyDelete