Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (2): Top Ten Most Vivid Worlds/Settings




Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.  This week our list (brought to you by Randi!) is the Top Ten Most Vivid Worlds/Settings in Books! Wooot! These are in no particular order!




 1. Ashfall by Mike Mullin 


This book is set in an apocalyptic world, beginning right as Yellowstone explodes. Part of the reason the setting of this book really came alive for me is because (in additional to all the excellent detail!) I live in Iowa, not all that far from where the majority of this book is set, so I can "see" the change in the "before" and "after" of this new world.
 2. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys


To me, the setting played a large part in this book; we begin with Lina in Lithuania and travel by train across Russia, to Siberia and the Arctic circle. Much of the suffering of Lina and her friends and family are exacerbated by the setting (the incredibly harsh conditions in the Arctic Circle without adequate shelter, medical care, or food).
 3. Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments series


I added the photo of Clockwork Angel because, though I love both series, Infernal Devices is my favorite (Team!Jem). The ShadowHunter world Cassie has created is kind of unbelievable. From New York City and Idris in TMI, to London and the UK in TDI, Cassie has injected her own incredible world into these (with the exception of Idris) pre-existing places.
4. Eragon (the Inheritance series world) by Christopher Paolini


When I think awesome worldbuilding, I think high fantasy, and the Inheritance series definitely qualifies! I have yet to read the final book, but I love this series. It really is a whole different world - elves, dragons, etc. Very vivid!
5. Graceling by Kristin Cashore


I love the world of Graceling (another series I need to finish!). This is another series that I'd consider "YA high fantasy." There's a vast, well-described world which we get to journey across!
6. MiddleEarth: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein


I don't think I can talk about vivid worlds without mentioning Tolkein. I read The Hobbit as a freshman in high school, and though I later attempted to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I only managed to get halfway through the second book. Anyway, another epic journey through a detailed fantasy world. Knowing that much of Tolkein's landscapes were influenced by the mountains in North Wales makes me love it even more. :)
7. The world of Harry Potter - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling


The world of Harry Potter is, for me, one of the earliest fantasy worlds I can recall encountering, and one of my most beloved. I reread the series last year and Harry's world is still as vivid and wonderful as when I first read the books. 
8. Stolen: A Letter to my Captor by Lucy Christopher


Though this one takes place in a realistic setting (the Outback of Australia), the isolated but beautiful setting here is such a part of the story that I couldn't leave it off of this list. I've never visited Australia, but Christopher's writing made me feel as if I were there.
9. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (the Chaos Walking trilogy)


The fact that this story is read through Todd's eyes brings to life the setting of New World that much more. I consider Todd's point of view to be stream-of-consciousness, and therefore we see everything Todd sees - the landscape, the people, everything.
10. The Wicked and the Just by J. Anderson Coats


This story takes place in medieval North Wales (yay!) and completely draws you into that world. Though the setting is real (I've actually visited Caernarfon, the castle and town in which the story is set), I think it's a perfect example of a vivid setting.












What's on YOUR top ten this week?
Leave us a link & we'll stop by!

33 comments:

  1. This top ten list should have been called "Middle Earth, Hogwarts, and 8 more worlds that are uber vivid". I agree with many of your choices. Good list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true! Middle Earth and Hogwarts are big winners this week.

      Delete
  2. hmmm, great list. I haven't read quite a few of these but HP and LOTR are pho who faves! thanks for sharing!

    Here's a link to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS, love your rating system!! So funny and yet I can totally imagine the feelings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scarlett! We wanted something a little different, hehe. :) Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Hogwarts - yup, me too. Middle Earth - yup, me too. Everything else - must add to library holds!!! Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! Glad I'm adding to lists. :) Hahaha.

      Delete
  5. *hands ups for Hogwarts and Middle Earth*

    I have to pick the Infernal Devices series. The covers are drop-dead gorgeous, and the back cover summaries make me think I'd definitely like the world.

    I got "The Knife of Never Letting Go" a couple of days ago (yay for ebooks). I'll try to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Infernal Devices is AWESOME. One of my favorite series! I'm really sad book 3 doesn't come out until March. :(

      And The Knife of Never Letting Go was great! I can't wait to continue that series! Let me know what you think. :)

      Delete
  6. So many good ones! Stolen is a great choice and I didn't even think about it! It is a very vivid setting. I have Kristin Cashore's books and, of course, Harry Potter on my list as well.
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! I had to go to my Goodreads "read" shelf to make my list. My brain went completely blank trying to think of books!

      Delete
  7. Okay, I love your list. First of all, YES to the Seven Kingdoms, even though I didn't put them on my list. I am a nerd-dork-raving fan of Kristin Cashore's series. There, now that that's out of the way.

    Patrick Ness. I can't even. Seeing The Knife of Never Letting Go on your list makes me want to throw confetti. The only reason I didn't put Chaos Walking on my list is because it's honestly on ALL OF MY LISTS. I know people get tired of hearing me talk about those books - they're my favorites.

    I LOVE this list. LOVE. IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!! Thanks, Asheley! I need to finish both of those series! My only reservation with the Seven Kingdoms is that I LOVE Katsa & Po and got really disappointed when I read the synopsis for Fire and saw that they're not the focus. :( But then there's the world building, so I don't really think I could be disappointed!

      Delete
  8. How excited are you for The Hobbit movie? I'm determined to read the book before it comes out.

    And YES to Eragon. The world-building is just as vivid in the next two books. I can't say about the fourth one- it's still on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO EXCITED! I squeed over the trailer hehe. :)

      I realllly need to finish the Eragon series! (For some reason I can never recall series titles...oops!)

      Delete
  9. I totally want to read Ashfall and I LOVE Harry Potter and Middle Earth. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashfall is soooo good! I can't wait for Ashen Winter. :)

      Delete
  10. Someday I REALLY want to read Clare's various series. I've heard good and bad things, but a LOT of good. And it just sounds so totally up my alley. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molli! I love both series, but Infernal Devices totally blew The Mortal Instruments out of the water for me. Definitely worth a read. :)

      Delete
  11. Oooo, I didn't put Eragon's world and I should have! I LOVE Alagaesia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! LOVE the high fantasy! Especially in YA! :)

      Delete
  12. I forgot about Eragon! That's a great world too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it!! :) I really need to finish the series!

      Delete
  13. I'm about to start Between Shades of Gray, I'm so excited:) And I love that you have The Wicked and the Just on this list! That book really made me curious about that period of history in Wales! I was THIS close to putting Graceling on my list, it really does have fantastic world building! And yes to Tolkien, the MASTER. I did manage to make it through all four books, but it wasn't easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will LOVE Between Shades of Gray! Just be prepared because it's definitely heart-wrenching. Loved the Wicked and the Just. :) I wish there were more books set in Wales. I hope I give myself a chance to read The Lord of the Rings again someday soon. I feel like I need to be able to give it my full attention; I love Tolkein's writing but there is so much detail that I think anything less than my undivided focus would do it a disservice!

      Delete
  14. Great list! I love the Infernal Devices and Eragon!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read Stolen or Between Shades of Grey yet, but from the reviews I've read, I feel like you're SPOT ON for adding them to your list. I am kind of nervous about reading them - I get so, so emotionally invested in books. I know I'll be broken, but I kind of welcome any book that can make me feel so deeply. :) Love your list & thank you for commenting on our blog today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are both DEFINITELY heartbreakers. And I completely agree - I know it was an awesome book when it makes me cry or when my face hurts from smiling so much! Thanks, Magan!

      Delete
  16. I didn't even think of Eragon but it should have been added to my list. Also, interesting that you chose Ashfall. It reminds me a lot of Eve. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to read Eve! If it's anything like Ashfall though, I'm sure to love it! Thanks, Amber! :)

      Delete
  17. Clockwork Angel, The Knife of Never Letting Go, and Stolen are all on my bookshelf AS WE SPEAK. I should get on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT! I'm not even sure which to tell you to read first; they're all awesome but completely different. Clockwork Angel is sweet and adventurous, The Knife of Never Letting Go is tense and heartbreaking, and Stolen was a rollercoaster of feelings. All wonderful. :) Let me know what you think of them!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...