Friday, July 27, 2012

Review:The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus #1)

The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus, #1)
The Amulet of Samarkand
by Jonathan Stroud
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I could not have enjoyed this book more. What really made it pop for me was the dual perspectives of Nathaniel and the demon. B. was so incredibly likable, despite being a sneaky, cowardly, sarcastic anti-hero. I think I liked him more than Nathaniel. The narrator's voice on the audio book was a startlingly perfect match with amazing inflection. I was really upset that the second of this series was checked out.


Pace:engrossing
Characterization dramatic, eccentric, lifelike, quirky, series, vivid, well-drawn
POV 3rd person following Nathaniel and the demon
Story Line action-oriented, violent
Frame London, alternate universe
Tone dark, foreboding, humorous, menacing, suspenseful
Writing Style Colorful, conversational, dramatic, ornate, unusual

Red Flags Death (not graphic), torture of demons, demons/magic
Read Alikes Artemis FowlHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's StoneThe Lightning Thief

View all my reviews

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!!! Bartimaeus is so sarcastic and awesome and Nathaniel so naive and innocent in this one!


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hard time liking Nathaniel because he treated Bartimaeus so badly, but I looooooved B :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this trilogy and I've just picked up The Ring of Solomon which is a sort of prequel of Bartimeus life before Nathaniel. "Characterization dramatic, eccentric, lifelike, quirky, series, vivid, well-drawn" Nail on the head, this is exactly why it worked so well for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is surprisingly not that well known, at least in the library I work at. I'm doing my best to spread the word! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaargh! Now I'm being reminded that I haven't bought yet the second volume... and I should really do that, because I read the first one in early 2010, and if I don't hurry, I'll forgot too many details from the first volume to fully enjoy the second one. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...