Fairy Tale Anthologies
I'm currently in a storytelling class where I learn to tell tales without using a book. Terrifying, right? One of our major responsibilities is to read as many story collections as possible to find stories that appeal to us. As Randi well knows, I dislike most of what I read, so this is really taking some digging.
My first row reviews the scary anthologies I have been reading and the second just shows some general collections.
Scary Stories
Passion and Poison, by Janice M. Del Negro.
This is a very small collection of YA horror stories to tell aloud. I loved how each of them had a strong female protagonist, and a few of them were very familiar, as they had been adapted from traditional stories. Del Negro really makes these stories her own by adding creeptastic imagery and new character names. I loved the grayscale illustrations!
Here There Be Witches, by Jane Yolen.
Ask the Bones: Scary Stories from around the world, by Arielle North Olson and Howard Schwarts.
A Wolf at the Door: and Other Retold English Fairy Tales by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling.
General Collections
Ten Small Tales, by Celia Barker Lottridge
Possibly the worst collection I've read lol. I don't know if it is because these stories are aimed at very young children, but it seems like all the flavor has been washed out of these stories. I could barely get through them, and this is a short book! Needless to say I won't be telling any of these.
The Boy Who Lived with Bears: and other Iroquois Stories, by Jospeh Bruchac
A stunning collection of stories and images. I would have no problem telling any of these, and I enjoyed the trickster tales. My favorite was the book's namesake. This collection has a lot of authentic atmosphere and spirit (or it feels that way to me).
A Treasury of Trickster Tales, by Valerie Marsh
I normally don't care much for trickster tales, and I care even less for animal tales lol. I thought this book did a good job with them, regardless, organizing by anti-hero and adding all kinds of supplementary telling devices such as sign language, cut outs, puzzles,etc.
Favorite Fairy Tales Told in Russia, by Virginia Haviland.
I would not mind owning this collection. It has most of my favorites from Arthur Ransome's larger collection and streamlines the stories while keeping the colorful imagery and spirit. I prefer Ransome's version of the snow child, however. The illustrations are messy but atmospheric.
I love your mini reviews! Passion and Poison sounds great, as does The Boy Who Lived with Bears. Thanks for putting these on my radar—will have to put on my to-read list! :D
ReplyDelete