Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Top Ten: Best Bookish Memories




Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.  

This week our list (brought to you by Randi) is Top Ten best bookish memories! 

1. Meeting Lois Lowry Last fall I got to meet Lois Lowry! Okay, so we didn't chat or anything, but I did hear her speak, which was pretty cool. And she answered a lot of questions from the crowd. And she signed all my Giver series books! I'm so nice that I also got Becky a signed copy of The Giver. ;)

2. The Little House Experience I looooved Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books as a child. I remember having a book giving details about some of the things talked about in the book, for example, BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES. And my mom and I made them. :) Great memory!

3. Sharing a love for Dean Koontz The first time I walked into my friend Rick's apartment (the Rick that is now my husband!), I noticed his bookshelves (as booklovers like us always do!). I was happy to see that he had quite a few Dean Koontz book as Koontz was one of my favorite authors in high school. Turns out he's a favorite of both of us & that was one of the first things I realized we had in common. :)

4. Yesterday I'm student teaching at a local high school (YAY!) and there was a student who had started reading Ashfall by Mike Mullin for his Silent Sustained Reading book. I mentioned to him that I really liked that book, especially since it takes place in our state (Iowa! Go Hawks!). He seemed shocked that I had read the same book he was reading! I told him there was a sequel - "REALLY?!" :) Last Friday he was nearing the end of the book, so I took in my copy of Ashen Winter, book 2, and told him he could borrow it. Yesterday he handed it back to me, this 400+ page book, and told me thank you, that he read the entire thing over the weekend! And when a student next to him challenged him about having read the whole book, he says "Yeah, I did! *blank* happens!" (Spoiler free) ;) Which just so happens in the last 50 pages or so, not that I doubted him! That was a great moment, knowing that I shared a book with a student and he loved it!

5. Book-stealing Mom We visit my in-laws in New England every year and Christmas 2011, I happened to take my copy of The Help with me on our visit. I sat it on the dining room table while we watched a football game and my mother-in-law picked it up to see what it was about...and got sucked in. She tried to give it back to me, but I told her I had brought plenty of other books so she should finish reading it. She loved it! Then I finished it & we got to chat about it. Then she called a few weeks later to tell me I just had to see the movie! This past Christmas, I took House Rules by Jodi Picoult and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green just for her to read because I thought she'd enjoy them. I love sharing books!

6. Being the Book Master My sister-in-law came to our family Christmas and immediately asked if I had any books she could borrow - yep, two huge bookshelves full! Though we differ a bit in our reading (I'm not big on straight romance of the adult variety), I handed off Something Like Normal by Trish Doller (which she read overnight and loved) and Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park. Again, book sharing is awesome!

7. Starting a book blog with my friend Becky! Of course! How could I leave this out?! Becky & I got our B.A. degrees in English together and thank goodness kept in touch afterwards. Now she's a soon-to-be librarian and I'm a pre-service English teacher. Who better to have a blog about books, right? :)

8. The Best Book Store Christmas in New Hampshire, so beautiful. Anyway, my friend Dave needed to hit up the used bookstore for some Christmas gifts...and of course I demanded to go, even though he and my husband knew we'd end up being there all afternoon. ;) This building was FULL of books. Everywhere. It was amaaazing. I gave the shopowner (a former teacher) my contact info in case he gets class sets of books since he has quite a few teacher customers. The first day, I walked out with 47 books for $58. The next day, we went back (hehehe) and I got the condensed (read: tiny print) copy of The Oxford English Dictionary for $2! The new set is $350+! 

9. Joining the Geeks Who Read Book Club! I have met so many other awesome book-lovers in this book club and it's great to have a regular place to discuss a book that we've selected each month. Even when I didn't particularly enjoy the book (Beautiful Creatures), it's still a great time. I have fun chatting with them even outside of our discussion meetings. :) And I have gotten a TON of awesome book recommendations!


Well, that's all I can think of at the moment, but I think they're some pretty great bookish memories, if I do say so myself! So what are YOUR best bookish memories? Link us up!

7 comments:

  1. Yay, so many awesome bookish memories - and woohoo - another Dean Koontz fan!!!

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting kids into books was always my favorite part of working in education, and was definitely my favorite part of being a librarian! I wish I could get my family to read as much as you seem to be able to get yours to. I love this week's TTT topic...what a great walk down bookish memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a huge highlight of my student teaching experience thus far. :) I've always loved to read, and my friends have always asked me for book recommendations, but somewhere along the way that extended to family as well. And I love it! Though I tend to want to *talk* about the books and how much I loved them and they tend to just want to grab the book and run. ;)

      Delete
  3. That is so awesome that you got to bond with your student over Ashfall, that probably super encouraged his love of reading and feeling that it was accepted for him to read, go you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura Ingalls was amazing... I loved her(and still do!) as a child! I also loved reading about your student and Ashfall, that's so amazing that you can bond with them through books. That bookstore sounds heavenly... amazing. Thanks for sharing your memories!

    Lauren @ Lose Time Reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember asking you for a book recommendation in college and, if I'm recalling correctly, you threw a Dean Koontz book at me. I guess it's pretty convenient that Rick had dropped off a grocery sack full of them, huh?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...