Friday, February 8, 2013

Review (Becky): The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There


Title: The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There
Author: Catherynne M. Valente 
Pages: 272
Audience: Tween/ early Teen
Genre: Fantasy (high fantasy/ fairies)
Rating: 4-I'd go on a quest with this <b>book again</b>


Goodreads Summary
September returns to Fairyland to reunite with A-Through-L, Saturday, and Gleam, and to confront her shadow-self, who has become the queen of Fairyland-Below, the upside-down world beneath the Fairyland of the first novel, filled with creatures of water and shadow, tales of ancient Fairyland before the human world was born, and not a few hungry buffins, blind birds of ice and moonlight. The yearly revels of Fairyland-Below climax in a mysterious rite September must avert or else lose her shadow forever




My Thoughts

I ended up liking the plot of this book at least as much as the first one, if not more. The whole shadow chasing shenanigans were a delight and put me in mind of Peter Pan. I found the narrator far less annoying, as he/she/it doesn't jump in and spoil the story quite as much this time. Personally, I don't care if the narrator is "a sly narrator" or what it thinks we were wondering lol.

Much of the old cast comes back with a few new friends. There were nearly too many characters, really, and it felt a little precariously balanced as a result. I liked September better in this story because she has more internal struggle and deals with a few more adult issues and the complexity of the questions she has to face increases. The barely budding romance with Saturday was awfully cute. 


Becky's Sig

FTC Disclaimer

All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...