Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
This week our list (brought to you by Becky) is Top Ten most frustrating characters ever. Brace yourself, because it seems like most people love these characters that I could. not. stand.

1. Bella Swan from Twilight. Is there anything redeemable about Bella? She is just weak and self-punishing, clingy, awkward, a little bit stupid, self absorbed.
2. Anna from Anna and the French Kiss. I think Anna is just Bella without vampires. She is obsessed with having a boyfriend in a way that may be realistic but is pathetic and unappealing. She has nothing but first world problems. Just live your life, woman, boys do not matter that much. 
3. Jake from The Last Werewolf. Ugh, Jake is just a waste of literary space. He's completely apathetic, revolting in his sexual appetite, and such a whiner.
4. Every single person in Beauty Queens. Enough said.

5. Jane from the teen adaptation of Jane Eyre. This adaptation failed to capture any of what made the real novel great. Jane, as a character, does not translate well to a contemporary time period, at least not here.

6. Patch from Hush Hush. Really ladies (Randi)? Patch is just annoying and self satisfied and a little bit of a stalker/assaulter. If you're going to go that route, pick Damon from Vampire Diaries. HONESTLY.

7. Beth from Little Women. Beth may have been paralyzingly shy, but I cannot believe any person in the world is that unerringly selfless. It makes her seem very flat compared to the other sisters.
8. Every single character from Girl in the Steel Corset. This book should have been published online as terrible fan fiction and left there. If you can't bring something worthwhile to a classic, I suggest you let it be.
9. Peeta from the Hunger games. Ok, so I actually like Peeta, but I just wish he'd get over Katniss. He wastes so much time protecting her and loses so much.
10. Lily from Lies Beneath. I cannot for the life of me understand why Calder fell so instantly in love with Lily. She is completely average and very slow on the uptake. I'm sorry, but if a human girl is going to rock the life of a supernatural creature, she better have some kind of special attributes.

Lol...I put Bella for the exact same reasons. I think she's on everyone's list for those reasons. I would have put Patch too, if I gave those books any thought at all lol. He is way stalkery. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteRight?! Thank you!
DeleteJake - ughh - I can't even ... just *ughh*
ReplyDeleteTanya Patrice
Girlxoxo.com
BECKY. You need to read the real Jane Eyre already. Stop reading adaptations!!!
ReplyDeleteI am SAVING it lol. I've only read this one adaptation.
DeleteSaving it for WHAT?! lol
DeleteThe perfect moment. Duh
DeleteBella is definitely on everyone's list. I see nothing good about her - at all. Thanks for stopping by mine!
ReplyDeleteI have not read the teen adaptions of Jane Eyre...but I'm quite sure I would agree with you. Pretty much on the principle that I don't much like adaptations of any of the classics. (I'm a purist...I can't help it.)
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my list!
Bella was not on my list. She wasn't frustrating - she was just a terrible character.
ReplyDeleteBut BETH FROM LITTLE WOMEN YES. SO glad I'm not the only one who found her martyry ways really really annoying - well, I used to. Someone pointed out to me that Beth's character was probably mentally handicapped so I felt a little bit bad for making fun of her, but STILL.
Are you talking about April Lindner's book Jane? I've actually always wanted to read it. I've heard mixed things about Beauty Queens. It's starting to lean more towards bad though.
ReplyDeleteOkay, Anna is sort of true on the first world problems, but I still liked her! However, I was also distracted by Etienne and all the food so I could be a little swayed.
ReplyDelete