This meme is hosted (and was created by!) the lovely Tynga at Tynga's Reviews to share any new books we procure - from purchased books, review books, library books, gifted books, and ebooks! We're excited to be participating! :) As always, all titles link to Goodreads.
For Becky this week!
These are all books I'v purchased in various forms over the last few weeks!
The Little Giant of Aberdeen County, by Tiffany Baker
I read this two years ago after seeing as a staff-pick at the West-Des-Moines Library. I remember loving it and the general plot, but it's definitely about due for a re-read. I purchased it in hardcover at a giant library booksale on Thursday in Bloomington, IN.
The Sister, by Poppy Adams
I read this three years ago and did not see the twists coming. The gothic atmosphere and meandering descriptions really appealed to me. Another purchase from the giant booksale on Thursday. Hardcover, of course :)
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski
This was a daring purchase for me, since I never buy books I haven't already read and loved. I've seen this in several reader's advisory tools at different libraries and couldn't resist the hard copy for 2 dollars at the library on Thursday.
The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield
I very nearly died when I saw this in hardcover on the booksale shelf. I snatched it up! The rich language and gothic atmosphere is amazing!
The White Darkness, by Geraldine McCaughrean
I bought this online (hardcover) for a class discussion in youth materials. I LOVED it.
The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern
This was purchased as an audiobook in a moment of desperation. I had an 18 hour car ride and the library was closed. I'm going to have to buy the hardcover later as well.
World War Z, by Max Brooks
This was also bought for the car ride, and I liked it significantly less. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell it on ebay or give it to a friend.
Gossip Girl, by Cecily von Ziegesar
I got the ebook version of this one,which I had to read on my computer to finish it in time
for my youth materials class. If I knew how to resell an ebook I'd definitely do it. This was a fun read but not one I'm really interested in owning. Maybe I'll get a Kindle someday and feel like it's actually a real book and not something I just read on the web.
30 Days of Night: Rumors of the Undead, by Steve Niles & Jeff Mariotte
I thought this was the actual 30 days of night book (shakes fist at hidden subtitle). I'll probably read the others before I try this one.
Randi's new books!
These are the books I've gotten in the past few weeks, so they are NOT all from this week! We save up our books to make a big post when we have lots of them to show you! :)
Received:
My signed copy of Spark by Brigid Kemmerer was sent by the awesome Brigid Kemmerer herself!!! It says "Dear Randi, Gabriel says 'hi'!" *SWOON* I looove the Merrick brothers! This is one of my favorite series. And Brigid is a sweetheart. :) You can read my 4-star review of Storm (the first book in the Elemental series) here. My 4.5-star review of Spark will be up soon!
I won my signed copy of The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney from the fantastic Tara @ Tater's Tall Tails ! You can read my 5-star review here.
The super awesome signed Kimberly Derting swag (author of The Body Finder series and The Pledge series) is from the lovely Mandee @ Compelled by Words!
Thank you all, ladies!!! All of your packages totally made my day!!!
Bought:
Eucalyptus by Murray Bail - got a really cheap used copy on Amazon!
Ashen Winter by Mike Mullin - cannot wait to read this! I looooved Ashfall!
So what's new on YOUR shelves this week? (Or, if you're like us, the last few weeks?) ;)
Lucky you, I love signed books.
ReplyDeleteI swear I'm the luckiest person I know!! Signed books make me feel super special. :) I wish I had a bookshelf just for my signed books!
DeleteSigned books are always a nice treat to have.
ReplyDeleteGrace
I love them!!! :D
DeleteI *adore* the Elemental series! I was so surprised at how much I loved reading Storm and Spark. I love the Body Finder swag you have! :)
ReplyDeleteBooks of Amber
Thanks, Amber! I was super surprised by the Elemental series as well! I'm usually really picky when it comes to YA paranormal fantasy/romance! I just wrote & scheduled my review of Spark - it'll be up November 5th if you want to check out more me-gushing-over-the-Merrick-brothers. ;)
DeleteGreat Haul!
ReplyDeleteI have yet to read any of these books yet, but they all look amazing. Can't wait to see whatcha think. New follower -- Gabby
My Sts:
http://gabbyreads.blogspot.com/2012/10/stacking-shelveshalloween-edition.html
thanks, Gabby! And thanks for the follow. :)
DeleteOh my gosh! This just reminded me of something... I had Edgar Sawtelle a couple of years ago, but lost it after reading like 20-30 pages. I never replaced it or finished reading it. Wow, I forgot all about that book.
ReplyDeleteGreat haul, ladies.
Thanks, Christy! I've had a copy for a couple years now, and I'm waiting for Becky to read it before I decide whether or not to invest my time. Hehehe. :)
DeleteWhoa!! What a great haul!! I'm not to familiar with many of them although I have heard that Spark is good. Hope you enjoy!!
ReplyDeleteMy STS @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog
Thanks, Marilyn! I LOVE the Elemental series - definitely check out Storm & Spark if you get a chance!
DeleteThat loads of new awesome goodies for you two this week! Congrats on all the wins, Randi. So jelous!
ReplyDeleteMy Haul
Thanks, D! I swear I'm the luckiest person I know. xD Hoping to have a giveaway on the blog here soon, so keep checking back! ;)
DeleteWhat an awesome haul and signed books are always lovely!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kimba! I love my signed books. I'm taking a literature course this semester where all the writers we read come to visit, so I'm getting LOTS of lovely signed books. :D I feel so spoiled hehe.
DeleteHi Randi
ReplyDeleteI read The Night Circus earlier this year and it's a book that really suits the dark winter nights.
Enjoy your reads.
Please check out my latest haul at http://www.resolution-corner.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/showcase-sundayletterbox-lovestacking_27.html