Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Top Ten: Books I Recommend Most!




Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.  

This week our list (brought to you by Becky) is Top Ten books I recommend most!  This is a hard list for me, because I don't usually "recommend" books.  I don't like it when said person doesn't love the book as much as me, lol. Sorry Randi.  I usually just "suggest" books based on what I know about the person in question or what I've recently read and liked.  If I magically found someone I thought would appreciate similar books as me, I'd recommend these, though...

Click photos for a link to the book's Goodreads page.


The Scorpio Races~ For fans of gothic romance.  I love the magical realism of the carnivorous horses that ride out of the water every year.  If you don't like this book, you may not have a soul :).
The Curiosities~ For fans of short story collections like zombies vs. Unicorns.  The author commentary and bizarre sketches are the best part!
The Age of Miracles~ I'd recommend for fans of the City of Ember.  This is a really fast, bleak dystopia but it felt very real.  It is suitable for younger ages and would be a great book club read.  
The Poison Eaters~Another good book for fans of Zombies vs. Unicorns.  I love the dark, magical worlds of Holly Black!
The Diviners~ Oh, my gosh.  This book is a wild, dense ride of magic, mystery and horror.  I liked how the magical elements were subtle/dormant for most of the story with just whispers of it rising up like fog.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake~ For fans of Chocolat!  The magical realism and food really hooked me.  I warn you, though, this is a very bizarre tale.
The Snow Child~ For fans of literary fairy tale adaptations.  This book has a very measured pace and is not for everyone.  If you like a lot of atmosphere, the you may enjoy it.
The Night Circus~ For fans of Harry Potter who have grown up.  If you're looking for a new magical reality to captivate you with its detail and atmosphere, look no further.
The Magicians~  Also for grown up harry Potter fans who want something snarky, hard-edged and utterly depressing haha.  It's like the Harry that would have been, if a school for wizardry did exist.  I actually liked this way more than HP, please don't stone me to death.
The Thirteenth Tale~ For fans of Jane Eyre and/or the Turn of the Screw.  If you want a windy mystery with heavy gothic elements and books galore, this is for you!

Have you read any of these? What did you think? 
What is on YOUR Most Recommended List? Link us up!

12 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm happy that I've read a few of these and highly recommend them too - especially The Scorpio Races - and I'm listening to the audiobook of The Diviners now and loving it.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I haven't read any of these. I see books being added to my wishlist. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree -- books are such a subjective thing that it's hard to know what any one person will/will not like. I like the idea of "suggesting" reads they might enjoy based on other books they've liked.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I adored The Scorpio Races sooo much! I try to recommend it to my students all the time, but they're not too interested which is a shame because its just such a beautiful story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I wouldn't have even read it if it hadn't been for a twist of fate at the library. I think the title is kind of a turnoff for me. I was like....well I don't really like sports or horse races in real life...so.

      Delete
  5. I loved the Snow Child, it was so magical! I have the Age of Miracles waiting to be read!

    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picks!

    I really want to read both the Diviners and The Age of Miracles

    My TTT

    Eva @ All Books Considered

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kept debating about putting A Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake on my Tuesday list. That was such a good book. I also debated about putting the Thirteenth tale on there too. You have a great list!

    MY TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice list! I have all of these ob my TBR pile, all! :) Will get to them soon. :)

    Thanks for stopping by, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of this list, the only two that I've read are The Scorpio Races, which I love, and The Night Circus. I actually just mentioned to someone else that I CAN'T BELIEVE that I forgot to put The Night Circus on my list! I love that book so much and try to tell everyone about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I loved the 13th Tale and The Diviners! I see we're both fans of gothic horrors! Win! I really want to read The Age of Miracles too it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Thirteenth Tale, The Diviners, and The Age of Miracles were all awesome. I agree. Not a huge fan of The Night Circus, but still a great list!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...